The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why the change in fuel cap?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed by the Fed 111 has an all polished aluminum gas cap as where the 111R's seem to have the aluminum outer area with a black center. I know it's a trivial thing but I much prefer the 111R then the all aluminum Fed 111cap the US is getting. So why the change? I wonder if it can be swapped. I know, don't laugh. I once spent 175.00 for a chrome cap for my Miata :rolleyes:..but lil details do get attention

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI John,
Perhaps paranoia on my part, never had it happen to me but I'd like the locking cap underneath just for my own piece of mind, visions of teenagers with packs of sugar dance through my head.

I do like the US flap better than ROW.
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The Elise will be an attention magnet. Some of that attention may not be positive.

·
Registered
538 Posts
John Stimson said:
What's the advantage to a lockable cap? Are you worried about people siphoning gas, or sugar in the tank?
Virtually every car sold in the US has either a locking cap or lid. There must be enough of a concern to warrant this.

·
Registered
912 Posts
the first time I tried to open the gas cap cover I thought it was locked. I didn't pry hard enough. It fooled me anyway, if that helps at all?

The stainless cover looks great in person. I would not change it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
John Stimson said:
What's the advantage to a lockable cap? Are you worried about people siphoning gas, or sugar in the tank?
On a recent episode of MythBusters (yes I'm a nerd), they determined that sugar in the gas tank was not a big problem. Bleach, on the other hand . . . :no:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
AuS4 said:
On a recent episode of MythBusters (yes I'm a nerd), they determined that sugar in the gas tank was not a big problem.
I saw that episode earlier today, actually, and think their test was inconclusive. The engine they performed this test on had a carburetor; they did not show a fuel injected engine being tested with sugar. I believe the difference is significant enough to call into question their test conclusion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the cap is aluminium, a polished LM6 gravity die casting.

Its this way due to federal regulations which say the fuel filler neck must be 'unattached' to the outer body work (the theory being that a side impact that would distort the body won't then brake the end off the filler neck and spill fuel everywhere)

Personally I think it looks awful!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Locking Gas Cap

Miguel...I'll follow up with the dealer. Weather's been crummy and haven't put on 200 miles, let alone 1000 miles, to get back to the dealer for my 1000 mile service....and ask about the locking gas cap.:eek:

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
speaking of gas caps, is the gas cap supposed to be tethered to the neck?
I thought I had read some complaints about this before I got my car. My car's gas cap is not tethered to the neck, and that's the way I want it. I know it's easy to clip the tether off anyway, but it's not something I had to do (although it was something I had planned on doing if it was attached).

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
raggedy1 said:
speaking of gas caps, is the gas cap supposed to be tethered to the neck? My car's gas cap is not tethered to the neck, and that's the way I want it.
I filled up for the first time last night and found out my gas cap is not tethered either. VIN is 516.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mine isn't tethered either...I think the early VIN's were tethered, and subsequently "snipped" by their owners anyway!!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
JLElise said:
Mine isn't tethered either...I think the early VIN's were tethered, and subsequently "snipped" by their owners anyway!!
Mine (early VIN) is not "snipped". I just rotate it out of the way when I fill up, and it just kind of hangs there. It doesn't cause me any problems...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts