The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to improve my knowledge about Lotus.
And - maybe detract from the fact that the cars aren't here.

oops.

Why are do the majority of Lotus models begin with the letter e?
Elise, Europa, Elite, Eclat, Elan, Esprit, Exige - you get the idea..

·
Registered
592 Posts
Lotus used numbers but when the 11 came up they spelled out the name. Rumor has it Chapman liked the sound of Lotus followed by the "e" name an continued the pattern.

I do not think this or the origins of the Lotus name have ever been positively identified by Chapman.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ex-M3 said:
I do not think this or the origins of the Lotus name have ever been positively identified by Chapman.
The "E" name is pretty much confirmed. However, neither Colin or Hazel have ever said why the name "Lotus" came to be. Colin never said (wouldn't), and Hazel won't...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
592 Posts
TimMullen said:
The "E" name is pretty much confirmed. However, neither Colin or Hazel have ever said why the name "Lotus" came to be. Colin never said (wouldn't), and Hazel won't...

Tim Mullen
And people complain about knowing when their car is going to be ready, we can't even figure out how they named the company :rolleyes: I can't think of any other car company where you can't determine the origin of the name! Kind of an interesting "commentary" on Chapman.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
TimMullen said:

Tim Mullen
As it happens, a few months ago I was directed to this link by someone who knew Chapman. I cannot confirm or deny the accuracy of the following. You'll have to decide.

Chapman's first car was a special built using a 1930 Austin Seven and this was entered in a series of trials. It was called a Lotus because Chapman and his friends had worn themselves out building it and they reckoned it had the same soporific effect as the lotus flower.
Gil

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The most commonly accepted origin of the Lotus name is from "LOT Un-Sold". In the early days, Colin dabbled in buying, modifying, and selling cars. At one point, he had a "cash flow" problem, and checking his inventory list, he had a lot of cars listed as "Lot U S". Of course, that is one possibility, but one that's been quoted more often than most, and from many, many years ago. And from many people that knew Colin.

I've never heard of the "Lotus Flower" origin, and working late nights to complete a job/car was the normal, not the exception back then for Colin and Crew.

Tim Mullen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts