The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into making some modifications to her speed since I placed my order in November of 2003. So, I went to the experts: RUF and Brabus and asked some techies I knew who worked on previous cars I had owned ( 600SL Brabus 0-60 in less than 3.75! and top end of 211 mph ) Total cost of improvements exceeded 110,000 DM at the time ( If I remember) 1996.

I have ordered a second Elise and to her I will make around $18,000.00 in modifications. I have been told for the $8K my Elise will improve it's top end to 175! and from 0 - 60 in around 4.2

Additionally, I will add rear tires size to the 295/30 ZR 19". Her cornering should ( theoretically) improve from 1.06 G to 1.18 G.

As far a horsepower....there is a formula that we are stuck with
Current HP/Desired HP x 2.91 which limits the maximum allowable....( SEE: M = Mass
r = Rho. which is the density of air.
V = Velocity
C = constant, coefficient of friction.
A = acceleration
a = area
Cm = Center of Mass ) etc.... So we should be able to get an extra 35 hp bringing her up to 235! NOW... all told... with these imrpovmements and her light weight...she should be able to take on all stock cars from $140-350 K ( Super exotice excluded! )

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,131 Posts
globecom said:
Additionally, I will add rear tires size to the 295/30 ZR 19".
I don't know how you would fit those on there but I'm going to slap on some 100 spoke 13s, fitted with switches - front..back..side-to-side. :D These will help me get over speed bumps, curbs and driveways.

·
shay2nak
25,131 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Ah, and why would that be. I hardly think 35hp and bigger wheels make it another car. :rolleyes:
no, but the weight of the bigger wheels would cancel the gain of the 35 hp! lol

·
Registered
729 Posts
Add 35HP, good.
19 inch, Bad, very bad!!!!
You will be surprise how much HP is loss from adding weight to the outer radius of the wheel. In you case, 295 and 19" :crazyeyes. wow!

Go a little wider with 16's on back and 15's in front if you want more cornering Gs without sacrficing straight line acceleration.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weight loss....and gain....

Apparently the newer rims weigh 11 lbs lighter....and the added rubber only adds a few lbs.... But, from what I understand their calculations were a net gain of the 35 hp.... gearing was changed too for the top end.... and 190+35=235 as far as I can still calculate. What's a 1hp difference anyway? Immeasurable.

Food for thought.......I will take the comment on the size difference and see what response I get. In any event, the car "as is" is what it is....( heh heh ) a screamer!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Re: Weight loss....and gain....

globecom said:
Apparently the newer rims weigh 11 lbs lighter....
What wheels are those? If you can save 11lbs (i'm guessing total, so 5.5lbs per wheel) over stock and still have 19's, I want to know what the 16' version weighs. I'd be interested in buying that.

globecom said:
190+35=235
I still don't see it. I've put it into my calculator about 6 times now...

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,799 Posts
thub said:
Offroad got it right - it's a soft top Koenigsegg.
I believe all Koenigseggs are targa roofed, like the Elise. But the Koenigsegg's roof fits in it's front boot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
MickOpalak said:
I believe all Koenigseggs are targa roofed, like the Elise. But the Koenigsegg's roof fits in it's front boot.
That's correct.

It's a yellow CCR with a mere 806hp and 678tq.

Beautiful car.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Re: Weight loss....and gain....

globecom said:
Apparently the newer rims weigh 11 lbs lighter....and the added rubber only adds a few lbs.... But, from what I understand their calculations were a net gain of the 35 hp.... gearing was changed too for the top end.... and 190+35=235 as far as I can still calculate. What's a 1hp difference anyway? Immeasurable.

Food for thought.......I will take the comment on the size difference and see what response I get. In any event, the car "as is" is what it is....( heh heh ) a screamer!
hmmm....did you buy/afford your Koenigsegg based on your mathematical skills by any chance???...:p

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whats the real deal?

There are some sharp guys here. There is some back peddling on some of the number issues. But no admissions of "error".

The 11 lb rims are made in Switzerland by a contractor for Montreverdi. They are alluminun/magnesium/plastic alloy. Now it appears thay are only available in 20" rims not the 19" as previously reported. And....the math is too cool.... 190+35=225. Somehow....the 235 was typoed.....But I never ay attention to the minor details. Either it is or isnt!

That's what's great about life....always have a small disclaimer:
"That's what I was told....by a reputable ( yeah?) source."

Anyway, the Koenigseg has been ordered. It is the 2005 CCR. It will be in the US in June. (Fingers crossed.) Limited to 25. BUt the real secret is that there will be a 2006 model priced for only $190,000. versus the $568,000 ++ for the CCR.

PS: Check out the Veyron. Now available in US for only 1,400,000 Euros. Not in US $ because of its spectacular, and continual weakness. Photo enclosed. And yes.......check out this inside photo of the cool shifting system.

Intitally there were electrical issues, most recently the "blown up tire issues" have been resolved. 0-60 2.92 seconds. 245+ mph, 1100 hp! Wow!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts