The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the whole world (outside of school age children maybe) understands that speaking rudely of someone's disabilities is not okay. You know how when you see someone walking the line between obviously "specially challenged" and normal, your first thought (internal monologue at least) might be cruel. But then you realize that person really is "specially challenged" and you feel bad. Because people generally don't feel comfortable being mean. That's a good thing.

But saying a movie shouldn't use the word "retard" just because retards exist is no different than saying you shouldn't use the words jackass, dumb, idiot, moron. Sure, if you go around using those words on someone all the time, they're not likely to stay your friend. But I'm talking about how if a friend (whom you respect) does something dumb, it's nice to be able to tease him and call him a jackass without worrying about some national organization of jackasses protesting about it. Your friend might overreact about it and if so, you work it out. But it shouldn't end up in the news.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Don't be such a retard. This is America, if nobody got offended, we would be a nation of intellects, not retards.

=D

Some people get offended for the sake that they think they should be offended. I use retard in conversation all the time, and most people cut in and try to give me some PC crap, and then I have to explain retard can mean a variety of thing. Like the quality of this forum has retarded. The general public is retarding into a violent mass. My engine is retarding ignition...

**** PC, learn the language, and actual definitions of words.

·
Registered
11 Posts
People these days are just over-sensitive, have nothing better to do but time for protesting about idiot things. I don't know if these experiences end up on their resume.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The ones getting upset are retards.....

doesn't that settle the debate?

The non-retards who are lobbying with the retards are just faux crusaders. Freedom of speech shouldn't be limited by a group of whiners who are offended by words.

George Carlin would have had a field day with this one

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Too many people in this country seem to believe that the Bill of Rights contains something about the right to not be offended.

Things must be pretty good here if this is something we b1tch about, ya know?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
this kinda relates to some other posts i made...
our society has ruled out certain jokes, terms, names, and whatnot....
everyone else has picked up the ball....
i think its silly but where does one draw the line?
i believe we should be allowed to make any kind of offensive comment in the name of humor and comedy we want.
its a MOVIE. no matter what word is said, get over it.
it all started with the "n" word. a word u have to use the first letter for if the whole word is uttered jesse jackson, the naacp, and God will strike you down.
:)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Mangling a quote I heard once:

"If you have never been offended, you don't live in a free society"

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
A coworker sent an email to everyone in the company today asking us to boycott the new Ben Stiller movie Tropic Thunder.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
If I had a large amount of money I should found a hospital for those whose grip upon the world is so tenuous that they can be severely offended by words and phrases yet remain all unoffended by the injustice, violence and oppression that howls daily.
Stephen Fry.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
OK I need to ask….
Why boycott the Ben Stiller Move?
Here is an excerpt of the retarded email that I received from a coworker:

"The movie stars Ben Stiller (also a co-writer along with Justin Theroux), Jack
Black, Robert Downey Jr, Matthew McConaughey, etc. DreamWorks considers this
movie a satire but it is a degrading parody of a person with an intellectual
disability. Not only is the Simple Jack character played by Ben Stiller
highly central to the film's plot but he is portrayed in the most demeaning
way. This depiction and the repeated use of the word "retard" are nothing
short of hateful. Additionally it provides ammunition for cruelty especially
for the film's target audience of adolescent males. In perhaps, the single
most offensive scene in the film, Matthew McConaughey, who plays a Hollywood agent, speaks to the film's main character who wants to adopt a child.

"Well, at least you still have a choice. I'm stuck with mine," states McConaughey while pointing to a photograph of his teenage son who appears to have an intellectual disability. Cafe Press was already starting to sell t-shirts on the internet with the saying "Don't Go Full Retard." DreamWorks seems to have stopped this last venture. DO I NEED TO SAY MORE???!!!

Attached is a press release along with a People First Language Fact Sheet that MEE sent to the Journal-Standard and Daily Focus yesterday. We ask you to share it with your family, friends and colleagues. Today's Op Ed piece in the J-S is a direct result of the release and we thank the Eric Petermann, the J-S Editor, for his insight and quick response.

We ask you to share this message and to boycott Tropic Thunder -- but also to use your communication as an opportunity to tell people about the abilities of people with intellectual disabilities, and about the value and dignity with
which they lead their lives.

And yes, I have seen the movie -- and yes, it is every bit as disgusting as
spokespersons for national advocacy organizations like The Arc, Special
Olympics, National Down Syndrome Congress, American Association of People with
Disabilities, etc. have stated."

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Wow that’s funny
I notice he/she saw the move. Is it a she?

Some people just love to be offended. If you don’t like something don’t see/listen/do it. Some people just don’t want to have fun or be happy.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I had a large amount of money I should found a hospital for those whose grip upon the world is so tenuous that they can be severely offended by words and phrases yet remain all unoffended by the injustice, violence and oppression that howls daily.
Stephen Fry.
outstanding!!! :up:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Here is an excerpt of the retarded email that I received from a coworker:

"The movie stars Ben Stiller (also a co-writer along with Justin Theroux), Jack
Black, Robert Downey Jr, Matthew McConaughey, etc. DreamWorks considers this
movie a satire but it is a degrading parody of a person with an intellectual
disability. Not only is the Simple Jack character played by Ben Stiller
highly central to the film's plot but he is portrayed in the most demeaning
way. This depiction and the repeated use of the word "retard" are nothing
short of hateful. Additionally it provides ammunition for cruelty especially
for the film's target audience of adolescent males. In perhaps, the single
most offensive scene in the film, Matthew McConaughey, who plays a Hollywood agent, speaks to the film's main character who wants to adopt a child.

"Well, at least you still have a choice. I'm stuck with mine," states McConaughey while pointing to a photograph of his teenage son who appears to have an intellectual disability. Cafe Press was already starting to sell t-shirts on the internet with the saying "Don't Go Full Retard." DreamWorks seems to have stopped this last venture. DO I NEED TO SAY MORE???!!!

Attached is a press release along with a People First Language Fact Sheet that MEE sent to the Journal-Standard and Daily Focus yesterday. We ask you to share it with your family, friends and colleagues. Today's Op Ed piece in the J-S is a direct result of the release and we thank the Eric Petermann, the J-S Editor, for his insight and quick response.

We ask you to share this message and to boycott Tropic Thunder -- but also to use your communication as an opportunity to tell people about the abilities of people with intellectual disabilities, and about the value and dignity with
which they lead their lives.

And yes, I have seen the movie -- and yes, it is every bit as disgusting as
spokespersons for national advocacy organizations like The Arc, Special
Olympics, National Down Syndrome Congress, American Association of People with
Disabilities, etc. have stated."
I think she's a retard.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts