The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am down to my final days of buying a car and one of the cars I am being pitched on is an 06 with LSD and TC.

The question I have is why would you need it? I'm not looking to track the car. The dealer told me it is so the tires wear evenly.

Even more surprising when I asked how much weight it adds to the car, he said none...none? Isn't it a mechanical piece? It has to have weight to it....

If you could shed any light on this that would be great.

Thanks!

- Dave

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
If you aren't tracking then you have zero need for either. Simple as that. Many will argue the LSD is bad for track as well, I personally like it. The TC is pointless though either way.

·
Registered
431 Posts
So I am down to my final days of buying a car and one of the cars I am being pitched on is an 06 with LSD and TC.

The question I have is why would you need it? I'm not looking to track the car. The dealer told me it is so the tires wear evenly.

Even more surprising when I asked how much weight it adds to the car, he said none...none? Isn't it a mechanical piece? It has to have weight to it....

Thanks!

- Dave
If you're not going to track it, I guess weight shouldn't be an issue however; you're not adding that much weight to the vehicle.

There's a lot of debate on whether you need it or not but, as far as Lotus is concerned, unless you plan to autocross the vehicle, it is not necessary but some here believe it's more of a safety feature if you're not autocrossing.

Bottomline, it all depends on how you're going to use the car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. I MAY eventually track or x-cross the car but it isn't high on my list.

It will be used strictly as a fun car to drive on the weekends.

I'm guessing I don't need it then...the guy I talked to (not Dan btw, because he isn't the pushy type and everyone know's he's awesome) was trying to tell me that i need it and that it is rare so it will help the resale of the car.

I'm not sure i buy it.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
thanks for the replies. I MAY eventually track or x-cross the car but it isn't high on my list.

It will be used strictly as a fun car to drive on the weekends.

I'm guessing I don't need it then...the guy I talked to (not Dan btw, because he isn't the pushy type and everyone know's he's awesome) was trying to tell me that i need it and that it is rare so it will help the resale of the car.

I'm not sure i buy it.
actauly finding one without LSD is more rare these days! some people want it, because it a thing to have... some people want it because they are competitive and talanted drivers and can extract that last .01% and not crash in the process), everyone else does not. it is not a safety feature, it does add weight - i don't know how much though? but its on, not over, the axle so no big deal.

the issue is that if you are say, pushing through the esses - and have a minimal amount of slip on the inside that continues to increase in slip and angle, eventaully the LSD will Limit the slip and that will add traction to the other wheel, that WILL change the balance and potentialy the direction of the car - if your a great driver, thats a good thing, if your not, it could put you into a wall. if your on slicks, then well... you allready know if you want it or not! if your running big power upgrades... you allready know if you want it or not!

in autocross your talking slow tight corners with max. roll on the chassis - everyone will agree in autocross LSD helps more than it hurts... but if your not autocrossing for competitive time, it is not needed - you'll just spin the inside wheel a bit and get less shot out of the apex.

LSD = ultimatly more traction with extreem chassis roll and tight hard fast turns.

no LSD = safer more predictable and progessive balance at the above limits.

i have had a pucker moment or two at 100mph where i was very glad i did not have LSD - because i am not a great driver on the track!

on the street i don't think you will ever know if you do or don't have it

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I like it and don't let anyone tell you there is a negative to it.:no: I have one car with and one without. Let's just say it's nice having one car that has "tires like new" all the time.;) I have never disliked the car with LSD and prefer it.:D

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
in order to put on an LSD you have to take the standard differential off so there isnt much of a weight increase

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts

Thanks!

- Dave
That has to be the lamest excuse I have ever heard rotfl

As for weight Monsi is right in that it shouldn't add much (probably a couple of kgs) for the LSD - the TC is software so naturally no impact there!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Err...wait till you guys actually put down some REAL power...then a LSD would be a good thing...and also strengthen up the 6 speed transmission as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Without LSD, my 06 Exige lifts the inside rear tire at T3A at Pacific raceways in Seattle (a tight hairpin) to the extent that i can see smoke coming of the tire in the mirror. I have to wait a beat or else ease into the throttle to avoid this, neither of which comes naturally given my controlled-crash driving style. i'll definitely put in a Quaife or similar unit when the BWR SC goes in.

I also noticed that when top Gear tested the white Exige S they got the same thing when the Stig exited tight corners.

Terry

·
Registered
29 Posts
a twist to the question

I've always been a little shy to ask these type of questions because sometimes people on the site get upset if you missed the one line in some random post that answers your question. So please don't yell at me.

But I have to finally ask my question, I admit I'm not race-savy like many of the people on this site.

What I'm wondering is if for the average Joe enjoying their Elise around town, wouldn't the LSD help considerably taking the everyday right turn hard and fast. From what I've read it would seem that much like in autocross LSD would allow you to lose less traction/power in this tight turn and be able to put the power back on sooner. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll leave it to the experts to tell me. :bow:

Thank you for your indulgence.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
What I'm wondering is if for the average Joe enjoying their Elise around town, wouldn't the LSD help considerably taking the everyday right turn hard and fast. From what I've read it would seem that much like in autocross LSD would allow you to lose less traction/power in this tight turn and be able to put the power back on sooner.
Autocross is NOTHING like street driving. If I catch any of you clowns driving like that on the street, I'll sneak lead bricks into your car.

Er...seriously, If you know if the difference while driving on the street, you are creating a hazard for the public.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
KingJester,

I had never autocrossed, tracked or even karted before buying my car. The car is such an amazing car that it'll change your interest. You've been warned rotfl

I added LSD after buying the car along with Penske shocks and a BWR front sway bar. I launch harder and exit turns harder with the LSD. I also feel the car is more predictable with the LSD during autocrosses.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Er...seriously, If you know if the difference while driving on the street, you are creating a hazard for the public.
:wave:I noticed the difference on the street on a tight turn trying to carry some speed. It was a quiet road, don't worry. The LSD is a nice to have, certainly not a need to have. If I was buying an Elise just for the street, I probably wouldn't pay for the LSD. If your car goes to an autocross, or as other pointed out, gets a SC or TC, you'd want it. I've owned it both ways and have extensive experience both ways. My Elise is now a DD with a LSD. I don't really need it now, but it's on the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.