The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because there's this scene in the trailer where they show people "curving" bullets by flicking their wrists while they shoot their guns...

And you KNOW some idiot is gonna try this at a shooting range and kill the guy next to him.

EDIT (to eliminate ambiguity): I'm not saying it's idiotic because it's unrealistic... I'm saying it's idiotic because it's believable enough that ignorant people are going to wind up dead after watching it and trying to see if they are one of the few who can curve a bullet.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Because there's this scene in the trailer where they show people "curving" bullets by flicking their wrists while they shoot their guns...

And you KNOW some idiot is gonna try this at a shooting range and kill the guy next to him.
...and you know this doesn't work, how? Have you tried it, and actually killed someone? I think we need some actual proof here.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
...and you know this doesn't work, how?
Physics. The only way to curve a projectile is to put a spin on it. The spin on a bullet from a normal gun is a spiral, to make it maintain a straight line. It's impossible for a human to "flick" any other spin into the projectile in the approx. 1/1000th of a second that it spends in the barrel.

Furthermore, do you think a human could accurately control the aim of the projectile while attempting to "flick" a curve into the bullet? :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Aw come on, that nice rack bouncing around and your still thinking about the bullets?

edit: that whole movie is a little far fetched, flying vipers?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
hollywood sucks
even if the movies were free, i wouldnt spend my time to go see them.
the fact that the industry is viable doesnt say much for its customers who will go watch anything.
the economy cannot be bad if people still spend money on this drivel that comes.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hold up, fish... I didn't say I'm not gonna watch it!! Just saying it's idiotic! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here! :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
idiotic?

Quite posibly... but I'm still going to watch it. Why? Because of the fact that it's absolutely stupid to think that it could be possible, but I watch it for the entertainment factor as well.

I don't watch Superman, Spiderman, or any other over-the-top type of movie to believe that it could REALLY happen.

Just like comic books are entertainment, I think movies are similar in the modern era. Visual 'fun'. I don't see anything wrong with Hollywood putting things out like this... because it's all variety. I enjoy very intellectual, mind-stimulating movies, but hell.. I need my stupid, "like that'll ever happen" movies as well.

And for those who aren't familiar, Wanted is based off a comic book, which from what I hear is actually more superhero like.

I think some people have lost the inner child in them... will we see stories of someone trying to flick bullets? Sure... but I don't think we should cater this world in fear of stupid people. If that was the case, we shouldn't make cars that go faster than 80 mph.

And I would be quite amused to have someone assume that I'm a mindless, uneducated lemming of a consumer for watching such a movie and perpetuating the idea that there really is a market for this type of movie. Quite honestly, there is a market... because it's fun. Have we forgotten that aspect of movies?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cspak, I said that it's idiotic specifically because it's going to make people try to do it, and probably will get people killed. Unlike Superman, the curve shot physics could actually confuse the dumber members of our species, and I can definitely see people trying to mimic it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried to dodge bullets like in the Matrix? I wonder how that worked out for them????

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
And I thought you were going to say that the car stunt in the trailer is going to get some guy's legs broken by a copycat. But damn it looks cool when she bumps him into the car at top speed. I think Angelina looks hot as hell in the trailer and I am totally going to see the money. Angelina, cars, gun play...I'm there. :drool:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried to dodge bullets like in the Matrix? I wonder how that worked out for them????
aahhh.... but if you learn to curve your bullets then maybe they would not be so easy to be dodged!

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I was watching fish swimming around in a dog's bowl the other day.
Crazy goldfish.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I once had a boss that insisted that military rifles were designed so the bullet tumbles as soon as it leaves the barrel. His proof? He saw it in a movie. And to think they made this guy president of the company.:(

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
hollywood sucks
even if the movies were free, i wouldnt spend my time to go see them.
the fact that the industry is viable doesnt say much for its customers who will go watch anything.
the economy cannot be bad if people still spend money on this drivel that comes.
Actually, I think I read that in times of crappy economy, the public flocks to movies
- as a form of escapism.

We go to movies to be entertained.

the sillier, the better.

.especially when it involves hot actresses like Angelina Jolie!

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I just got back from the range. After several hours with one of the shooting instructors we realized flicking your wrist does curve the bullet based on the following formula:

Radius of curvature = ((BIS*43/12)/(O+EH)+87.3)/GNP

1 - 20 of 58 Posts