The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...also why not to let your brother drive your old racecar. So much wrong here, gas break, locked up tires = won't steer...

Here is my brother driving my old Atom, watch his neck several times in a row and you will see what I'm talking about. He is O.K. and walked away but could you imagine an impact like this at a higher speed :no:

·
Premium Member
11,470 Posts
I appreciate your posting this as we can't be reminded often enough about incidents and safety devices.

Glad your brother is only embarrassed.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Very impessive to go off on corner ENTRY. Why a solid concrete barrier? I am assuming that is not really considered a normal runoff zone and the barrier is for traffic comng from the other side, but still, there should be some tires in front of it.

Very hard hit at about 30 mph. Could have been fatal

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
" This video is private " ......... ??

·
Registered
7,116 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Yikes, locked Hoosiers on grass! -eek-

It is easy to be an armchair critic sitting in front of a computer.

Did they charge for the concrete barrier?

Kverges, the course in the video was a shortened one run through a cut off and the barrier was part of a longer section.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't think they charged him for the barrier lol.

I know it all happens fast and your instant reaction is to keep on the brakes, its a weird feeling lifting off of them while heading for a wall at speed but luckily he did slow down to a speed that didn't hurt him, cars are replaceable.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I've raced VIR and figured the barrier was for another part of the course, thanks for confirming. I hope they add tires to both sides in the future. Upon further review looks like that off was on the exit of a combination, plenty of tire marks of other offs. That makes an exposed concrete barrier more inappropriate IMO

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Glad he was OK. Was surprised to see him off there. Assume frame was unfixable?

How do you think that happened? Did car understeer or driver not turn in? Maybe that super light little Atom got air there and the fronts did not grip? I've spun to right there when first learning North course. That turn before (Stevie Wonder) is blind and crests more than the video shows.

Swear it looks like he turned the wheel yet the tires did not turn to right?

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts