The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching for wheel spacers and came across hubcentric VW 10mm, which is an ideal size I'd like to use on my car. The only thing, the hub diameter on VW is 57.1mm, bolt pattern 4X100, compared to 56.6-56.7 on Lotus. The difference of only 0.5mm! Yet, the fitment guide says they won't fit Lotus.
The available H&R for the Lotus are 14mm, which is to much IMO, Blackwatchracing are a bit to thin and they charge double for thicker one...:eek:
Can anybody educate me on why the won't fit?

Thank you,

Isaak

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would be concerned if they don't have a hubcentric part sticking out on the side the wheel is mounted on. Otherwise, you are depending on the wheel bolts while stressed in a vertical direction with an aditional 10mm distance inbetween. Link????

·
Registered
663 Posts
It looks like the H&R spacers have the "collar" protusion I was refering to and so do some of the others. I purchased some wheels with centering rings that were 0.5 mm too small. I was suprised how much material had to be removed to make them fit. (I have access and skills for simple machine shop functions.) These spacers will most likely have to go to a machine shop to get the collar machined down to fit. Plus, the center of the hole in the spacer will be loose. I had some 10mm spacers custom made to fit my car with SSR size hubcentric protusions. The macine shop said they would have charged $200 for all four for a regular customer. You could try these but make sure you can return them or have a plan to get them modified.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like the H&R spacers have the "collar" protusion I was refering to and so do some of the others. I purchased some wheels with centering rings that were 0.5 mm too small. I was suprised how much material had to be removed to make them fit. (I have access and skills for simple machine shop functions.) These spacers will most likely have to go to a machine shop to get the collar machined down to fit. Plus, the center of the hole in the spacer will be loose. I had some 10mm spacers custom made to fit my car with SSR size hubcentric protusions. The macine shop said they would have charged $200 for all four for a regular customer. You could try these but make sure you can return them or have a plan to get them modified.
Thank you for response.
I understand that H&R spacers have collars, which have to be removed. The 10mm spacer I was reffering to on the link I posted, doesn't have a collar. At least you can't see it on the picture.
I was quoted $40 per 10mm spacer custom made for me. I guess, that the route I'll take.

·
Registered
663 Posts
That seems like a good price for custom spacers. I think I now understand what you are looking for. I have used two 5mm BWR spacers stacked together on the rear hubs with the SSR's. I decided to go with custom spacers for the following reason. The hubcentric ring on the SSR's did not engage the hub very much and I found that I had to tighten the wheel bolts every four autocross runs. I felt that that setup was not safe. I did not have the loose bolt problem with the SSR's and the 6mm spacers from BWR.

The stock wheels would engage the hub better because the hubcentric hole goes all the way to the inner face of the wheel. But, try this at your own risk. If you go that route, the VW spacers without the collar might work. What wheels are you planning on using?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stock wheels would engage the hub better because the hubcentric hole goes all the way to the inner face of the wheel. But, try this at your own risk. If you go that route, the VW spacers without the collar might work. What wheels are you planning on using?
OK, I decided to go with BWR 5mm after all... Ordered them yesterday.
I will be using stock wheels, at least for now.

Thanks again for your help.

Isaak

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sounds like the best choice. I use these on my front wheels. They work perfectly and the bolts stay torqued.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts