The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHY did you buy you Lotus? WHY?
Yeah, I'm sure there are other threads like this, but there are new Lotus owners and there are new reasons, new justifications....
WHY?
(or why not?)

Look DEEP IN YOUR SOUL and find the honest answer(s).

Like...."I bought my Lotus to pick up chicks. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it didn't go that way. Now the Lotus gave me the amazing experience of PURE driving......") and on and on.

What is the REAL REASON WHY you bought your Lotus?

Thanks

--Hal

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I loved my miata, but wanted something that looked better, handled better, and was all round faster, while keeping to as small a car as possible.

Elise was the logical choice.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Because it's NOT a ( insert name of american "sports" car here )

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Combination:

1. Born in 1970 in the UK and so remember seeing Esprits and the Lotus F1 cars. Told myself that I would have a Lotus in my 30's.

2. Had company cars for 10 years - from graduating until moving to the states. When I got here I brought an Audi TT - had it for a couple of years, but needed something more "real" and the Elise was a perfect fit.

3. Love the track. When living in Germany I had a shifter Kart that I used to race, but living in the South there's no where that takes outdoor karts. But I have several options for the the Elise.

4. I'm a show-off:D

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
1: I saw the Top Gear Exige episode with the Apache chopper
2: before moving to LA from NYC one of my best friends who races Porsches told me it was the most car I could get for the money if I wanted to learn how to properly drive - and that it looked super hot

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i remember being really intrigued the first time i saw a modern lotus on top gear, the whole bailing-wire-and-duct-tape we're-building-this-car-because-goddamnit-we-can attitude exhuded by the first exige they reviewed really impressed me for its sheer force of will in bringing the car to market, and disappointed me because nothing so raw and purposeful ever comes to fruition stateside...

---

...about six months later, playing around forza on my SO's xbox, i quickly flipped through the available cars and saw this revelatory everyman's supercar - mid-engined, exotic, and affordable - but not available to me just casually browsing through the game...at the time i didn't make the connection with the top gear review i'd seen earlier, in fact i didn't even catch the name of the car as i flipped past, but the prospect drew me in enough that i decided to buy an xbox for myself just to play with the game...

---

...about four months after that, my own new 360 up and running forza, i spent around a month learning how to control a pontiac solstice with all the computer assistance turned off and difficulty settings maxed out, giving myself a terribly sore wrist in the process but banking enough winnings to shop for a new car in the game...it took me a lot of digging around to find that mystery car again, but eventually i did and purchased the 130 HP UK-spec elise available in the game - and wow!..

...i was totally blown away the first time i took that virtual elise around the track; i'd had no idea handling could feel so profoundly refined...i was utterly gobsmacked, and the next day at work raving like an idiot about how i'd found my next car, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday and for the rest of my life: of course it was european, i'd have to find a way to grey-market import it, and it probably cost the better part of six figures, but here, let me pull up a picture on google image search to show what i'm talking about...

...huh - federal model?..still, sixty thousand dollars, though - wait, used cars coming in near thirty thousand?..that's practically attainable!..

...well, i was in love from my first virtual drive, and obsessed by that point, too, sleepless even, and recovering from six months of sixty hour weeks when one of my friends began urging me toward lucidity...

"It's important to remember: work to live, don't live to work. You should do it. It will change your life."

---

...two weeks to the day from my first virtual drive, i'd put a down a deposit and scheduled a trip to galveston to drive mehve home...

·
Registered
821 Posts
How many reasons does one need? Here's a cpl

I wanted one since I first saw pics of the S1 Elise. I've owned a cpl miatas, and back when I was on miata.net w/ my first miata I helped a guy on there who worked for Lotus cars USA in marketing I believe...he drove a miata and had suspension issues/questions...I gave him some advice/info, and he sent me some Lotus Esprit Posters. (before Elise hit US market). and they are hanging in my garage to this day.

I've always had an obsession with Lotus Cars. And the Elise was the first one that I could a) rely on for DD b) afford to buy and maintain c) Curves make me drool!

I drove the other one here in town, and thought. "AWWWW CRAP its everything I'd hoped it was". the next week I bought one.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Soooo,nobody else could buy it.....rotfl

plus it would have got to the top of the mountain to look at the stars and back to the truck stop for a 'beer with ara'with no trouble!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Because it's NOT a ( insert name of american "sports" car here )
this...

It is purpose built, has no frivolous crap, and is unlike anything else on the market

it is simple yet advanced... it is the the quintessential engineer's car

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Because I may never own a Ferrari or Porsche, it's the best handling car I'm likely to ever call mine. And it's pretty too. LOL

·
Registered
531 Posts
I saw a Europa JPS when I was 10 and Lotus has been my favorite kind of car every since.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Because my daily driver Fiat Spider was trying to lighten itself at every turn. Stuff was falling off it like it was the hotel car at a leper colony. After reading about the Elise in a Road and Track article, I began driving it in my dreams (like Bizkit, the sleep-running dog). I had to have one. Been extremely happy with it for almost 4 years (and three sets of rear tires) now.

Tom

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
the 911 i went to look at had issue so i got a m100 with issues- but hey, at least it was unique with issues!

the Elise was a no brainer... only "old school" sports car on the market - what else is a real car with no power steering, no carpeting, no power windows, no traction control, no climate control. (all the reason i didn't like the m100) i was looking at porsches but wanted to strip them out everytime i drove them. didn't want a GT sports car, wanted a simple, stripped, basic sports car. i allready had a lot of the "old" sports cars i wanted, and the technology of the chassis in the elise was just too goo to be true. Been a 'dream car' of mine since its introduction and many times checked into importing (not a realistic option) so i never thought i would be able to get one unless i moved... then once they announced the Fed111r - its was a very easy decision.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
it is simple yet advanced... it is the the quintessential engineer's car
exactly! took me two paragraphs to say that :up:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
When I was young, back in the bad old days (70’s) most cars handled terribly. Especially the ones I could afford. I also liked smaller cars (and bikes, and airplanes…). There was also that thing called the “gas crisis”. History, engineering and aesthetics are also important to me. Imagine it is 1979 and you are looking for a sports car that is:

Affordable + Small + Fuel efficient + Elegantly engineered + Pleasing esthetically + Manufactured buy a company with a performance and racing heritage + great handling = Lotus

An Elan fit the bill in my case.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts