The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my front tires (A048 standard size 195-50-16) are still OK, but I need new A048 rear tires.

Is it a good idea to go wider than standard (A048 225-45-17)? Also because I upgraded my suspension to stiffer Nitron Pro Sports.

Further info:
I use my car for weekend driving, approx. 4 track days per year and if I like my first AutoX experience upcoming Friday, than I'm probably also gonna start autocrossing.
I'm aware that wider tires will make life on bad roads easier because they tend to follow the road more (sorry, can't come up with the English word for this effect).

Al input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
THe problem with this is that your fronts aren't going to be as sticky as your rears. The car already understeers and wider rears could make it worse.

With that said, I'm in the same spot (got some 48 fronts in the basement and about to order some rears) and if the wider rears work, I'll pick 'em up.

·
Registered
882 Posts
For track, I am now using Hoosier R6 245-45-16 tire with 8.25 wheel, and everything is very very tight. And I have an issue with one wishbone touching slightly the wheel on curve. It is too tight...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ok, my front tires (A048 standard size 195-50-16) are still OK, but I need new A048 rear tires.

Is it a good idea to go wider than standard (A048 225-45-17)? Also because I upgraded my suspension to stiffer Nitron Pro Sports. Al input is appreciated.
stay with 225 A048 in rear. You don't benefit using wider rear tires.

If you want to try different tires/sizes, you should replace all 4 at the same time.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Climb4fun,

You are asking for offset? No really matter, I am using shim to adjust the wheel position to avoid tire contact with the frame. As is, very tight (maximum 1/8 gap), and the tire outside is close to the fender edge, but still not touch. Since my wheel are 16 at the rear, it is more critical with the lower wishbone, 17 inchs wheel allow more clearance with it.

My suspension is stock, basic. I was using that set-up since I am using a lot the car on street. I will maybe move with stiffer suspension to limit the wheel displacement with the wishbone, I am thinking about that now, since I just try my wheel set-up yesterday on a new race track.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Upgrade your tire widths when you need to. If you are getting proper traction with the stock sizes, keep them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for info, looks like it's best to keep stock tires as long as my front are stock size and I'm still NA.
I'm planning to go SC later this summer, assuming that that new kit from CharlieX gets released. I sincerely hope there's still live left in my (to be installed shortly) rears by then, then it would make more sense to have wider rear tires to keep enough traction. So I'm a bit on the fence.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If you use wider rear tires that will tend to increase understeer, but increasing the front negative camber & dialing in a little toe-out in front can help offset that.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm shimless in the front, so that should help.
Re toe-out: I don't know, a RTDbrace was installed, then my car was realigned/cornerbalanced but that didn't come with the final results/settings on paper so I don't know what my current set up is, I'll chase them for some paperwork.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm shimless in the front, so that should help.
Re toe-out: I don't know, a RTDbrace was installed, then my car was realigned/cornerbalanced but that didn't come with the final results/settings on paper so I don't know what my current set up is, I'll chase them for some paperwork.
Take it easy on the front toe-out. A little (maybe 1/16") helps understeer, but much more on the street and you'll get tire wear on the inner edges.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
wider front also?

If you need more grip, then yes, but otherwise upgrade both front and back equally. Anyone running 225 front and 245 rear....and how do they like them? I need to go wider...is 225 and 245 better, or should I just bump the front to 205?TADTS

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I ran 245 rear on the stock rims. I liked it. :) My favorite was A-032 245s rear and 225 A048 fronts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts