The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that most of you want the wider wheels for your Liz. I do to. I also know that many of you don't care for the LSS option. But if you recall Clyde said that the wider wheels are only available with the LSS option. (See Below)

The sports package is the only way to get the wider tyres as the suspensions is set up for them
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1320&highlight=questions

So for all those that figured they could just go out and slap on wider wheels here is the reality of the situation. You can slap on wider wheels, however you will probably adversely impact the handling of the car.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Correct.

Experience with the S2 in europe has shown that slapping a set of 195 wide regular front road tires on the standard suspension makes it handle rather oddly.

The front 'digs in' too much and the whole car starts to 'wobble' under hard cornering as the front suspension is overwhelmed by the grip.

Anyone fitting grippier tires/wheels should really upgrade the suspension too (either LSS or aftermarket options)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The only reason that I don't want the LSS package is because I don't like the wheels that are offered. I definately want wider wheels/tires and I definately want an upgraded suspension. I just hope the aftermarket comes through.

Hmmm... maybe I could buy the LSS package and trade or sell the wheels to another Elise owner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Certainly, someone could buy the standard version and modify the suspension to handle wider front tyres, i.e. less understeer etc. But, this would involve changing the springs, shocks and anti-roll bars. Why bother? Especially when an extremely competent bunch of engineers has already done it for you!

I read somewhere that the number of LSS equiped cars would be limited, but my local dealer says otherwise.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PurpleLion said:
I read somewhere that the number of LSS equiped cars would be limited, but my local dealer says otherwise.
The number that's going around is 300 LSS packages available.

·
Registered
113 Posts
LSS is?

what does LSS include? so far it seems to me that it includes

upgraded shocks
upgraded sway bars
lowered ride height (w/o bump steer I assume)
different wheels and 195s on the front
....and most importantly its been sorted out by Lotus

does it also include?
corner balancing
different suspension bushings

while the parts may not quite add up to the price Lotus is asking for LSS, it does take time and $$ to sort out the suspension. And then what to do with the extra set of wheels- I don't see a lot of resale value there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Since you should be able to adjust the ride height, I would think that you would be on your own with regards to corner balancing.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: LSS is?

Jay said:
And then what to do with the extra set of wheels- I don't see a lot of resale value there.

Thanks!
Put racing tires on them.

There is a market for take offs for the autocrossers, who the first thing they will do, is get an extra set of stock rims (or perhaps other lightweight aftermarket rims that are the same exact size), and they put racing tires on them.

Typical trend for a new car is that take off rims are valuable. As the car ages, the value of take offs drop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How wide can we go

This is my first posting so I would like to start of by thank everyone in this forum for the amount of usefull information I have received from their postings. I live in Miami and I am #17 at the collection, I am planning to go with the LSS option but I would like to know how much wider wheels I can go with?

I currently own (4) Antera 309, 18"x 8" wheels with 225 40 ZR 18 tires I am wondering will these fit on the Elise. I am pretty sure I can fit this size tire in the rear but I am concernede about the front what could I fit in the front? Could I possibly go with an 18" wheel.

Thanx again

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
No way on the front. There is some question to be resolved if we can fit 205s on the front. I hope to know more from the LA Auto Show.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would entertain the idea of purchasing some extra wheels from someone that buys something different. As my name implies, I will be AutoX'ing my Elise. With a second set of wheels and a fresh set of Hoosiers or Kumhos, I'll be a very happy owner.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'll keep that in mind.:)

If you were able to fit wider tires than the 195s and 225s would you then have to upgrade the suspension to something more aggressive than the LSS set up?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
brookester said:
If you were able to fit wider tires than the 195s and 225s would you then have to upgrade the suspension to something more aggressive than the LSS set up?
You might...

Perhaps not for the balance/behaviour of the car, but you might have to go to (significantly) stiffer springs again to limit the suspension travel so you don't damage the arch liners or the clam because of wider tires.

Either that or choose your wheels and tires very carefully with this in mind.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts