The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
I didn't have to make any mods to the fender Wells to fit the 11" wide wheels. The widening added 2.5" to the backside of the wheel. I was told that most wheels can't be widened in the front side. I was fine with that.... Just meant that I would have to have hubcentric machined.

As far as the fronts go, I left them stock width. I thought about widening them, but couldn't find low enough profile tires in wider widths for the front to keep the original overall diameter the same. Lotus went to taller front tires on the v8 esprits as compared to the SE and S4. the V8s run a 235/40/17 which is about 3/4" taller overall than the 215/40/17 on the S4. I like the shorter tire on the S4.....allows me to bring the Esprit lower down without looking "slammed." to get the same lowered stance with the taller tires, I'd end up with rubbing issues and the tire tucked into the fender.

My Esprit is very low, but there is still a "one finger gap" at all 4 corners. Lotus engineers would disapprove of it, though. :p To me, it now has a proper exotic car height and stance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Awesome. I agree with you on the aggressive stance. Thanks for sharing. Mine has been lowered and I have after market rims but am really considering a wider rear tire. I'll post pics soon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here's my standard 1990 SE with standard V8 AWI Monobloc Wheels and standard suspension and tires.
No issues.

Cheers,
Redfox.

Attachments

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
88 Esprit tires

On 88 Esprit, which has a negative (-20.3mm) offset at the rear,
the largest wheel/tire possible to install is
295/35-18,
et=23-25mm,
(10.5J x18", wheel, 5x108 bolt circle),
requires 25 or 35mm spacer.

35 aspect tire provides rather hard/harsh ride, therefore the 275/40-18 tire may be a better choice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have 10's on the rear of my 88. i have 1.25'' to the heat sheild and 1.5 to the fender edge.
11-11.5 is possible but you'd have to stretch a tire for clearance...
i have NO stretch and no issues rubbing, could have gone 10.5 with a real tire and no issues

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just did this to my 88, and the Continental 285/35/18's are 11 1/2 inches wide although they dont look it in the last photo, and they fit way better than I had anticipated, the only hurdle was the heat shield on the turbo exhaust side was a little close to the tire for my liking so I bent it inward. I did alot of measuring for my spacers as to keep the tires in the wheel wells. I bought three long 14x1.5mm bolts at a hardware store then used cpvc as a tube spacer, cut to size, to measure this whole thing up, I was only having spacers made ONCE.

I think I could fit about another 3/4 inch in tire width in there yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is this a pursuit of performance? Or a style thing?

My daily driver VW R32 has more traction then HP, and it has its good sides and bad sides.
I would have thought that the Esprit is rather similar in that it doesn't have a ton of HP, and has good traction.
At what point do you have WAY to much traction and it becomes an issue?

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Is this a pursuit of performance? Or a style thing?

My daily driver VW R32 has more traction then HP, and it has its good sides and bad sides.
I would have thought that the Esprit is rather similar in that it doesn't have a ton of HP, and has good traction.
At what point do you have WAY to much traction and it becomes an issue?
Pursuit of both.

You know it immediately when it happens...

when your transmission shatters, especially with the open diff.

LSD is a "must" in this configuration.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I didnt notice it being as harsh or bumpy as I thought it would be, most notably louder, more pavement sound. One other thing I noticed was, I have to do a sharp K turn to get it into my 2 car garage from my shop, and there is more tire to turn up front, but its not as hard as I thought it would be to do so, I will have to do some driving and see how it is after more miles and situations.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,646 Posts
I have to do a sharp K turn to get it into my 2 car garage from my shop, and there is more tire to turn up front, but its not as hard as I thought it would be to do so, I will have to do some driving and see how it is after more miles and situations.
Effort on the manual steering will increase as the tires wear in.

New tires have the little injection bumps and mold release compound on them. When these wear off in about 1000 miles, you'd better have that gym membership in effect. :evil:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Running on Toyo Proxes T1-S assymetric at 285 on my V8 Monobloc's. Excellent grip. In fact a friend and I tried to go round and round in a .. wait ... roundabout, and we actually got a bit Dizzy, and had to leave it ;) NEVER happened before ;)
This Summer I also installed two purple bushings for the center of the front arb, and surely lesser roll. It just grips and grips.
Hmm... Maybe I should get that Quaife lsd soon.
I am now rebuilding my set of OZ Futura to be ½" wider on the outside lip, so I can install 315 tires as on the Sport300. :facepalm
I'll report back when it is finalised, as I need a set of Sport 300 arch extensions as well. Genuine preferably.
Cheers,
Redfox.

·
Super Moderator
3,857 Posts
[snip]
I am now rebuilding my set of OZ Futura to be ½" wider on the outside lip, so I can install 315 tires as on the Sport300. [snip].
I have the 17x7" / 17x8.5" Futuras from an S4s.

Looking at reworking the rear for a Citroen-based Turbo (ET -20) - likely same width but deeper dish so I can get rid of the 5 lb wheel adapter.

Who are you sourcing the outside lip? I've been looking at aftermarket (German origin) that are in the $300 range (lip only). Curious to see if any other sources.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts