The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a hum (like a bee) from my throttle body. The DBW still works even with the hum. I did mess with some wiring, but everything is back to stock. Any ideas???

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
usually that sort of hum is from the actuator either being blocked or going bad, they vibrate and thats what the noise is.
when does it do it, if it does it all the time, check to see if the butterfly is vibrating.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Charlie. I will check the butterfly tonight. The sensor is just a standard toyota part?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Charlie, it is moving all the time. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I wonder if it is the same part off a celica. I maybe able to get one from a wrecked one aka junk yard.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Damn...I better not leave you near my car unattended now :panic:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am getting a hum (like a bee) from my throttle body. The DBW still works even with the hum. I did mess with some wiring, but everything is back to stock. Any ideas???
yeah, mine buzzes all the time as well.

i thought it was normal but..

took off the throttle body and noticed there is about 1.5/2mm play in the butterfly spindle.

i dont think this is ok, maybe why im getting a wierd rattly sound on acceleration that i assumed was my supercharger actuator.:shrug:

·
Registered
438 Posts
i talked to someone just now that says that its normal for it to buzz when the key is in the on position.

can anyone go out to their car and just confirm if it does or doesnt make any buzzing noises with the key in the on position, (you'd probably have to have the engine lid open to hear it, maybe put your hand on it and see if you feel anything).

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Wait a second. Is a physical buzz or an electrical sounding buzz?

If it's an electrical sounding buzz then it's completely normal. I thought you meant like a physical buzz that comes from excessive vibration.

I hear it right before I turn the ignition on, and I move on from just powering the radio and clock to powering all the windows and DBW. I think the DBW sucks up a decent amount of electricity when the car isn't on (engine running).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What i really need to know is if the butterfly valve is moving on a good throttle body. See the problem is when i rev up to any RPM (car revs no problems), let off the gas, the car goes down in RPM and turns off. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Charlie picked the problem out right away and I trust he is correct. I just want to verify before blowing some cash.
Thanks

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Oh damn, I forgot to take the picture for you. I'm back at college now.

Let me know if you want to meet up and see it in person. My car will be undergoing it's transformation in a week or two.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
solenoids will vibrate, thats normal and depending on the manufacturing tolerances on it, some will do it more than others, it'll sound more like a strong hum than a buzz though. I used to work in arcades and when the solenoids of the bandits would start to go the hum got louder and louder til it became a buzz.
that vibration is amplified through the mechanical parts and again depending on tolerances will cause the plate to oscillate, typically i've found that as they degrade the vibration gets worse when they are engaged, sometimes depending on the design if the solenoid can't get back to the a rest position it'll vibrate too as the system is fighting back and forth trying to open or close, this usually causes excessive heat and damages the windings, its probably a motor in the dbw but the principle is similar, if its a servo, then its called servo buzz again its normal and tolerances vary but you want it to be as little as possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts