The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally gotten my car sorted enough to where I feel comfortable sending my wife out for a drive on her own. Everything works, it starts and drives well, suitable for her to drive.

Tonight was her first drive of the car. I sent her out to grab a six pack of something good while I put the kids to bed. After explaining the ebrake she was off and I headed inside. About an hour and a bit later, kids sound asleep, she returns.

Turns out she called a friend for a joy ride. Weather is perfect, top off, windows down they go cruising the town. On the way out of the grocery, after grabbing a six pack each, they find two college boys gawking at the car, taking pictures. They walk up, guys look at them, and ask "is this your car?" in an incredulous voice. Wife says yep, sure is. Guy in striped hipster tank top say "that's awesome!" Then he proceeds to ask all the details, which my wife knows because I am sure I have tmi'd her on them on more than one occasion. They then proceed to hit my wife up for photos while the boys were sitting in the car. Ladies head off in the lotus, guys night was made for sure.

Both women are mid thirties hotties, not in a masked by makeup kind of way, so I am sure they just rocked those guy's world as far as what sexy really is.

If I saw two hot 30 something women walk out of a store, each with a good six pack of beer in hand, and hop into a classic lotus esprit when I was in college, it would have rocked my world. Actually, even now it would blow my mind.

Needless to say, my wife has a new found appreciation for the car I have been toiling over late nights and weekends. I couldn't have planned that out better if I had tried. I am sure her next joy ride will be sooner than later.

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And for those of you that feel inclined to ask the most specific of questions, it was one six of Fat Tire and one of rio blanco pale rye ale.

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
Ah, but wait until your wife figures out your scenario - going out for a six pack and 2 college women gawking at the Esprit....hope she's a good sport rotfl

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Whew, glad it ended well... The thread title was a bit scary; was afraid to *come in* and look

Nice experience. :clap:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Great story!

Six months before I bought my Elise I saw a yellow Esprit parked in the local mall. That made me think I needed to buy a special car. The Esprit is so beautiful.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Pix or it didn't happen.......and not of the boys.........or the car............or the beer :D

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
My wife's experience went the other way.

WAY back when Log 12 was in Leesburg, VA, we only lived a little over an hour from there.

I decided to take the Esprit we owned, naturally and our SUV full of Esprit parts I wanted to sell there.

So I drove the SUV, my wife drove the Esprit. It was fun trailing behind her on I70, watching all kinds of cars pull up next to her, pace her in her blind spot, guys hooting and hollering at her. At the time she too was mid-30's hot.

When we got to the LOG hotel, she got out of the car, and said she never wanted to drive it again. She loathed the attention.

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pix or it didn't happen.......and not of the boys.........or the car............or the beer :D
"Hey babe, guys on the Lotus forum want a picture of you in the car"

Silence...

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, but wait until your wife figures out your scenario - going out for a six pack and 2 college women gawking at the Esprit....hope she's a good sport rotfl
You know, it hasn't really gone that way for me with this car. I am guessing she will get far more play out of driving it than I will.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My wife's experience went the other way.

WAY back when Log 12 was in Leesburg, VA, we only lived a little over an hour from there.

I decided to take the Esprit we owned, naturally and our SUV full of Esprit parts I wanted to sell there.

So I drove the SUV, my wife drove the Esprit. It was fun trailing behind her on I70, watching all kinds of cars pull up next to her, pace her in her blind spot, guys hooting and hollering at her. At the time she too was mid-30's hot.

When we got to the LOG hotel, she got out of the car, and said she never wanted to drive it again. She loathed the attention.
4380r,
I can understand how she feels, get it all of the time with my Esprit. When driving a beautiful Esprit you will get attention, personally I do not like it either but it comes with the car.
When I purchased the car I used to do some car shows to let people see an actual Esprit in person that they have only seen in magazines. After a while of answering stupid questions, a guy told his wife and son when he saw my car they were built in Australia. Then he asked me {to prove him being correct} and I told him 'No, it's made in Hethel, England.'
He was such a **** he asked me if that was true which I responded "Yes, I have been to the factory." He shut his mouth and walked away. The other thing I hate about doing car shows are people touching or running their fingers over the body lines. Everyone for some reason needs to touch this black car and ruin my hard work of polishing perfection with their body oil. :mad:

·
Registered
276 Posts
My ex- drove my GT40 a couple times. While the esprit gets some attention, the GT40 is in a whole different league. She would get mobbed by young guys when getting out at the gas station to fill it up. She was mid-30's, fitness instructor, and very hot too. I don't think she liked the attention.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I'm glad my wife is 5'2"
I don't think she can see over the steering wheel

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,309 Posts
I'm glad my wife is 5'2"
I don't think she can see over the steering wheel
My wife is the same height ^^^ and LOVES driving the Esprit. No probs seeing out (but, the seats DO fit noticably lower in 93+ cars than our '88).

Both of our two daughters have driven the Esprit also (with Dad in the passenger seat, of course) :D

No "stick-shift" trepidation here....:up:

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife has driven a manual shift tractor trailer, once. She has also driven tractors, and a backhoe. She has failed to be intimidated by driving anything, yet. She even grew up in the city. She used to drive my E39 M5, which was honestly the most challenging clutch to master for me.

She did help me pull the motor and drop it back in, so I think it's only fair that she get to drive the car whenever she wants.

I am pretty sure that if she starts getting too much attention in it, guys hooting and hollering at her, she will never want to drive it again.

·
Registered
685 Posts
4380r,
I can understand how she feels, get it all of the time with my Esprit. When driving a beautiful Esprit you will get attention, personally I do not like it either but it comes with the car.
When I purchased the car I used to do some car shows to let people see an actual Esprit in person that they have only seen in magazines. After a while of answering stupid questions, a guy told his wife and son when he saw my car they were built in Australia. Then he asked me {to prove him being correct} and I told him 'No, it's made in Hethel, England.'
He was such a **** he asked me if that was true which I responded "Yes, I have been to the factory." He shut his mouth and walked away. The other thing I hate about doing car shows are people touching or running their fingers over the body lines. Everyone for some reason needs to touch this black car and ruin my hard work of polishing perfection with their body oil. :mad:
I know right, I was at a DC autocross this guy comes up starts chatting friend of his got a Lotus. He precedes to lean against my car and put his hand on the roll bar. I'm like can you please not touch my car? He was offended and went off in a huff. Just cause I want to autocross my car doesn't mean I don't care about it. :no:

Oh sorry Extratx that's a awesome story, I'd like to see a picture of the hot 30ish ladies also :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts