The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, iam looking to purchase an elise in the next few weeks and was wondering if a 6'0 surfboard would fit in the passenger side. from looking at the legroom, it seems pretty deep, so i think it might clear. Maybe a current owner has tried or is willing to try and put a broomstick or something to let me know.
if anyone is local to S.Fla and is willing to let me try i would greatly appreciate it. this will be my daily driver so i would love to be able to put it in without having to remove the top. it tends to rain alot down here.

I ran into the unique rack but at $2500 just doesnt seem justifiable. ill rather get a old GTI and use that for beach transport.

Unique Rack

FWIW I can fit my 6'4 in my Audi TT.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Hello, iam looking to purchase an elise in the next few weeks and was wondering if a 6'0 surfboard would fit in the passenger side. from looking at the legroom, it seems pretty deep, so i think it might clear. Maybe a current owner has tried or is willing to try and put a broomstick or something to let me know.
if anyone is local to S.Fla and is willing to let me try i would greatly appreciate it. this will be my daily driver so i would love to be able to put it in without having to remove the top. it tends to rain alot down here.

I ran into the unique rack but at $2500 just doesnt seem justifiable. ill rather get a old GTI and use that for beach transport.

Unique Rack

FWIW I can fit my 6'4 in my Audi TT.
rotfl That's cute.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
i have put 8' 2x4 in - top off of course!!

...otherwise, get a boggie board

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
no

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
The longest "thing" you could put on the passenger side is 64", but width matters too! ;)

Seriously, 64" is the max from the front bulkhead (removing the foot rest) to the front of the targa top. If you run without the top and let one end stick out, then you could carry a long board.

Then there's a width limitation, foot well is pretty narrow.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
....we'll MAKE it fit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
There are some pics here on LT somewhere of someone with a surfboard on a roof rack on the Elise. I think it was a rack that used suction cups to mount, similar to the version that another member here later tried to market under the name RacksThatSuck. If I remember correctly, the guy with the surfboard rack might have been Jack Griffith, a former LT member who sadly passed away in a accident. Search around here and I'm sure that you'll find the pics - it was a very cool setup.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hillariously enough I'd like to know as well incase the pickup doesn't work one day.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i saw the suction cup rack but it worries me the wind force thats going to be exerted on the windshield.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
122 Posts
On that note, how about a hard acoustic guitar case in the passenger's seat. They usually run about 44" long, max at about 18" wide, and are about 8" high. I assume it isn't a problem, but what about having a passenger sitting there holding on to it :)?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
On that note, how about a hard acoustic guitar case in the passenger's seat. They usually run about 44" long, max at about 18" wide, and are about 8" high. I assume it isn't a problem, but what about having a passenger sitting there holding on to it :)?
I did a "trade in" at an area guitar store last year. My archtop in a pressboard case fit, headstock down. The dreadnought in a hard case I came home with would only fit with the top off. The lower bout was too wide to make it down into the footwell and had to ride sideways resting on the front edge of the seat. The top of the case was higher than the top would have been.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i carried rather long exhaust box several hundred miles, strapped into the passenger seat and sticking out the roof, no problem...

·
Registered
357 Posts
just stick it out the top, nose in first, fin side up - you could probably stack a couple that way

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you can fit it in a Locost Se7en, you can fit it in an Elise.

From Martin Keller over on USA7s.com

Seriously though, there are companies that make soft racks like this foam rack for kayaks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just mount it on your roof. Tilt it forward for downforce, tilt it backwards to transform your Lotus into a glider. If you take a passenger with you, he/she can use a T-shirt like a parachute for you. That way you can make right turns!

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
That first one was the one I was thinking of. The strap system in the second pic looks interesting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts