The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase an Elise or Exige. I have rented one for a day in Vegas, test drove one at a dealer.

I would prefer increased torque in the lower RPM/MPH ranges, for more acceleration around town, without the need to rev to 7000 RPM to get into the torque range.

Obviously, a SC is a great way to do this.

Will my car still pass the annual state emissions testing after adding an aftermarket SC, with the required programming changes?

Will the required changes to the programming make it fail the OBD-based tests? If so, would it need to have the identical program to the stock program, in order to pass?

If it would not pass, are there alternatives?

And if I just want a little more torque at lower RPM's, are there chip and/or cam changes, etc, which could do the job?

I know, I don't have the car yet, but the answers to these questions could help me decide among Elise, Elise SC, and Exige.

Thanks for any help.

Tim

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mine passed the Japanese sniffer test with out any issues. I'm not sure what there standards are compared to those used in the USA and more specifically Wisconsin. I think it will pass the OBD check with out any issues as long as your not throwing up any codes.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I am planning to purchase an Elise or Exige. I have rented one for a day in Vegas, test drove one at a dealer.

I would prefer increased torque in the lower RPM/MPH ranges, for more acceleration around town, without the need to rev to 7000 RPM to get into the torque range.

Obviously, a SC is a great way to do this.

Will my car still pass the annual state emissions testing after adding an aftermarket SC, with the required programming changes?

Will the required changes to the programming make it fail the OBD-based tests? If so, would it need to have the identical program to the stock program, in order to pass?

If it would not pass, are there alternatives?

And if I just want a little more torque at lower RPM's, are there chip and/or cam changes, etc, which could do the job?

I know, I don't have the car yet, but the answers to these questions could help me decide among Elise, Elise SC, and Exige.

Thanks for any help.

Tim
Bit of a crapshoot, don't know that anyone here can give you a definitive answer that would apply to all kits and installs.

Best to take advantage of the current market and buy a new/leftover or lightly used Exige S and be done with it.

Could also perhaps make a good deal on an Elise SC sitting on a dealer's lot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am thinking of getting supercharger for my Elise too but one thing I can tell you. I put in a Greddy Turbo kit on my Honda S2000 and it passed the NJ test 2 weeks ago with with no issue. I have a piggy back ECU and Greddy boost controller on the Honda.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Does your state have a visual inspection as part of the smog test? Here in CA, the aftermarket SC would fail the visual.

I agree with lotusforsale. Since you don't have a Lotus yet, I'd look at one of the factory supercharged models.

I am thinking of getting supercharger for my Elise too but one thing I can tell you. I put in a Greddy Turbo kit on my Honda S2000 and it passed the NJ test 2 weeks ago with with no issue. I have a piggy back ECU and Greddy boost controller on the Honda.
The Greddy turbo kit is smog legal/CARB exempt. That's comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Depends. A quick google suggests that Wisconsin's emissions testing on OBDII vehicles is similar to most, in that they simply plug into the diagnostic port and check for codes/readiness. If there are no problems reported, you pass.

So, as long as you have a cat and a properly functioning stock computer, even flashed, you should be fine.

It's about the same in most states, save for the People's Republic of California.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I actually didn't know whether re-flashing the ECU would make it fail the OBDII, which was my biggest concern. Thanks to all for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts