The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for the ARP flywheel bolt kit for the Elise/Exige? ARP website does not list the bolt kit for the lotus. But I heard the ARP bolt kit 203-2802 would fit. Would anyone confirm this? Does the Elise/Exige flywheel use 8 bolts only? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
2nd, check monkeywrench racing. Whatever ones they use work fine. No issues here with the arp bolts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No one actually used ARP flywheel bolt kit 203-2802 or knew the ARP flywheel bolt kit part number for the Elise/Exige?

Trying another bump....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe, anyone has pictures and sizes of the ARP flywheel bolts sold by Monkeywrenchracing so I can compare? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
(Rescurrecting an old thread since I'm currently going through a flywheel swap):

Yes. The ARP 203-2802 flywheel bolts are longer than the stock bolts by about 7MM.
No. This not an issue as the depth of the holes on the crankshaft are plenty deep enough.
The sharpee mark on the screwdriver indicates the hole depth.
With the Fidanza Flywheel, the new ARP bolts only protrude 12MM

Attachments

• 675.1 KB Views: 910
  • 675.1 KB Views: 824
  • 675.1 KB Views: 767
  • 675.1 KB Views: 783
  • 675.1 KB Views: 809

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info. Was a little worred based on the reviews I saw on Monkeywrench. But the pictures above cleared it up. Ordered a set. Toyota dealership charges $9 a pop for these (x8).

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Anyone order these from sector? They for a vauxhall/opel. I talked to them and said it was fine. #209-2801

I also read about the longer than stock bolts on MWR and just bought the sector ones.

These are exactly 31mm in length from end to end.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
Here is the engineer in me…if I had identical materials for the nut and the bolt, then I would need one diameter’s worth of threads to take full advantage (strength) of the bolt. So since we are looking at a 10-mm bolt, that bolt would have to be sticking out past the flywheel 10-mm. Since ARP makes their bolts from 200-KSI material and if the crankshaft was made from 200-KSI material, then all you would need is 10-mm of bolt engagement. I seriously doubt that the crankshaft is made of 200-KSI material. That is some pretty strong stuff! I would be very surprised if the crankshaft was made from 120-KSI steel. Some racing crankshafts are made from 160-KSI steels though. OK…if I have 120-KSI crankshaft, then I would need proportionally more thread engagement to take advantage of the full strength. I would need 200/120*10 or 16.7-mm of bolt engagement. So yes, both ARP bolt sets would work fine. But since the 209-2801 are 2-mm shorter than the 203-2802 I would choose the longer ones just to load the crankshaft threads less. The longer bolts will just ensure that the bolt broke before the threads in the crankshaft got deformed or stripped. The longer bolts are just cheap insurance. Oh, and the longer set of bolts are cheaper than the shorter ones…go figure…better and cheaper!

So…IMHO, the 203-2802 is the preferred bolt over the 209-2801.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Here is the engineer in me…if I had identical materials for the nut and the bolt, then I would need one diameter’s worth of threads to take full advantage (strength) of the bolt. So since we are looking at a 10-mm bolt, that bolt would have to be sticking out past the flywheel 10-mm. Since ARP makes their bolts from 200-KSI material and if the crankshaft was made from 200-KSI material, then all you would need is 10-mm of bolt engagement. I seriously doubt that the crankshaft is made of 200-KSI material. That is some pretty strong stuff! I would be very surprised if the crankshaft was made from 120-KSI steel. Some racing crankshafts are made from 160-KSI steels though. OK…if I have 120-KSI crankshaft, then I would need proportionally more thread engagement to take advantage of the full strength. I would need 200/120*10 or 16.7-mm of bolt engagement. So yes, both ARP bolt sets would work fine. But since the 209-2801 are 2-mm shorter than the 203-2802 I would choose the longer ones just to load the crankshaft threads less. The longer bolts will just ensure that the bolt broke before the threads in the crankshaft got deformed or stripped. The longer bolts are just cheap insurance. Oh, and the longer set of bolts are cheaper than the shorter ones…go figure…better and cheaper!

So…IMHO, the 203-2802 is the preferred bolt over the 209-2801.
actually the 203-2802 is not listed for the 1.8 2zz, it's for 1.6 L some other motor. So either one would work.

Plus the stock bolts' threading starts closer to the head. Not sure how this compares to the Opel's version.

Now where to get the ARP thread coating so I can torque to 58 instead of 85.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts