The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

I understand there are over 3,000 people on various lists. With production where it is expected to be, how likely is it that everyone on a list now will get the current model Elise, before the exemption runs out and the S3 is released? Any thoughts?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
I *think* they will build the present S2 car for 2 years which means everyone on the list should get it. I know R&T mentioned late 2005 for the new S3, but that does not mean it will be delivered late next year.

Just my speculation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
At the rate of production and deliveries, I find it hard to believe everyone can get a current model federalized Elise before the DOT exemptions expire. At least, if all of the current deposits are kept, which is unlikely as there are multiple deposits from some people, many will likely drop off the list, and several cars will simply be resold for various reasons, thereby decreasing the true waiting list.

It is an interesting question and I've wondered what will happen when the time comes for model year change and some of us have contracts specifically for a "2005 Lotus Elise."

·
Registered
103 Posts
My contract does say "2005 Lotus Elise." So that does raise an interesting question.

But, unless you are willing spend the time and money to prove that the dealership mislead you, or intentionally sold cars to non-deposit holders to intentionally deprive you of a 2005 model year car, I think you will have a very hard time making a contract case out of this.

If there are no more cars available and the dealership returns your deposit, I think your claim is gone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My concern is that with such unequal allocations to various dealerships I may not get a 2005 model. With 30 some dealers and me being #47 I thought for sure I would be receiving ~ car #1500. Some dealerships have had up to 9 cars delivered. Many have had 0. My dealership has heard that only 18 cars will be built for it this calender year. I may not get one of the 1st 2400 cars at this rate.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
hey guys help me out here....
when i talked to my dealer over the phone, he said it would be a 2005 car, then when he gave me the receipt after i put 1000 bucks down, it said "2006 lotus elise." i questioned that and he said because of lotus production line, the cars they make late next summer or fall are actually 2006 models...also, he said that i would have a car next summer maybe june, and then i saw the 2006 model written on my order...i questioned the time frame and he was kinda vague and i didnt push it cause i figured he didnt know anyway...now im beginning to think i was just told what he thinks i wanted to hear....
i put the money down like 2 weeks ago....
oh yeah...i asked about where my place was on the list and i thoufgt he said something like 200....when i questioned him again later and asked if i was like 200 on the list, he said no... i stopped on there when he was gone and talked to another salesmen and he said delivery would probably be spring of 2006 and indeed i was 204 on the list...when i told him my salesmen said 2005 delivery, he said he really didnt know delivery..but vouched either way it would in fact be a 2006 car...
somebody help me, am i getting stroked here or what???

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Guess it would depend on your dealer and the amount of their allocations. I would not be surprised if you do not get an Elise in its current form...

·
Registered
1 Posts
can someone tell me what the issue is between a '05 and '06 model-why is the '05 desi

What is the desirable issue about the '05 vs. '06 model

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
There is some confusion about the model years. What we do know is, that the present model is a 2005. It should continue to be sold as a 2005 for at least the first half of 2005. At some point, it will become a 2006.

I do not expect any major changes for 2006. There will additional options, with many of those options being implemented as soon as they can. One is the extended warranty which will be coming right away. LSD should be available as an option in a couple months. Expect different things like seat embroidery, different colors also for 2006.

There was a rumored possibility of an engine change or engine option, but that was killed off. However I would not be surprised to see a supercharger from Lotus in 2006, though it may be only an option... or just an option on the Exige.

The new model, coming out in 2006, will be a 2007 model and is rumored to be pictured in the mags, but I would not trust those pics. I think they feed off each other as sources. The existing exemptions end at the end of the run of the 2006 model year. Lotus would either have to extend the exemptions, or introduce their new model for 2007.

We do know that Lotus as been working on a 3 model line up for the US market. The entry level is the Elise. I would not be surprised to see a supercar killer or Ferarri killer... along with a more midrange 2+2 model, all built on the same platform.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Randy,

Have you heard the likelihood of the LSD option being available by year-end? I'm expecting a February-April delivery (here in Chicago - so I'm hoping for March-April and avoid the snow). I would hope I could still add LSD to my order as late as December, assuming it was announced and available. What do you think? Also do you think the LSD will help with cornering? Are there any downsides to LSD, aside from a slight weight increase?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Reddirt14 said:
Randy,

Have you heard the likelihood of the LSD option being available by year-end? I'm expecting a February-April delivery (here in Chicago - so I'm hoping for March-April and avoid the snow). I would hope I could still add LSD to my order as late as December, assuming it was announced and available. What do you think? Also do you think the LSD will help with cornering? Are there any downsides to LSD, aside from a slight weight increase?
I had heard it would be available by year end. I don't know if that will filter down to dealers getting the word to allow buyers to order it. Lotus seems very stuck in that once an order is placed, they do not want to change anything.

I think there is a possibility that an LSD will help on inside rear wheel spin on sticky concrete using Hoosier tires. I have not experienced this kind of spin yet, so the jury is out that the car needs it. However, it might also help the gobs of throttle on oversteer I am getting. But I am not sure about that. I am going to try to tune that out first with alignment and swaybar.

Downsides of the LSD can be increased understeer and a change in handling characteristics...along with cost and a small bit of weight.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
i had a long talk with my dealer and he assures me i will see a new lotus in its current form. he says it may be a year away, but ill get one....he says they have delivered like 20 or 30 already and they have another 20 in transit right now. the dealer is fox valley outside chicago....im like 200th on the list but hes expecting about a 20-30% cancellation/dropout rate. he said a lot of people put money down early and things change over a year and a half or two....one guy backed out cause he lost his license for instance....
anyway he said he is 100% certain i will get one. he said it will be a 2006 model, but ill get one. i pointed out the fact that production is out of his control and if they couldnt deliver im sure they would just give me my money back, but i want the car...he asked me why they would accept deposits on cars they couldnt deliver..
he then showed me a sheet showing the cars that have been shipped in transit and he said they will have delivered another 20 cars by months end....that would make about 40 total.
he reminded me that they have the largest allocation and that now that the car is in production, lotus is pumping them out as fast as they can and thats why its hard to tell how long of a wait..
he said something about a big pow wow around dec/jan and everyone will have a much better idea of wait times etc... thats fine with me i guess cause i wont be ready to buy till spring 05 anyway....by then we will all have a much better idea how things are going...at that point, im sure i can find pretty fast maybe for a few bucks over msrp if i dont wanna wait...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
First, I hope they finish the embroidered seats, and install them ASAP, regardless of whether we're talking about a 2006 model year or a 2005 model year (I expect my car will be a 2005). I love seat branding, and if any company were to send me a car with some type of production line change I didn't expect, it would probably be Lotus.

Randy, as for the supercharger, two questions:

(1) Any word (however vague it may be) on whether Lotus will allow this to be a dealer-installed option after the fact, and thus covered under warranty? Obviously, an option like this would be HUGELY cheaper if installed on the assembly line, but I'm not sure if I could resist.

(2) With that much imediate power on tap, wouldn't a LSD become pretty much mandatory for SCed cars?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
First, I hope they finish the embroidered seats, and install them ASAP, regardless of whether we're talking about a 2006 model year or a 2005 model year (I expect my car will be a 2005). I love seat branding, and if any company were to send me a car with some type of production line change I didn't expect, it would probably be Lotus.

Randy, as for the supercharger, two questions:

(1) Any word (however vague it may be) on whether Lotus will allow this to be a dealer-installed option after the fact, and thus covered under warranty? Obviously, an option like this would be HUGELY cheaper if installed on the assembly line, but I'm not sure if I could resist.

(2) With that much imediate power on tap, wouldn't a LSD become pretty much mandatory for SCed cars?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts