1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
If someone famous buys it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, once the prices have bottomed out in around 15 years they'll start to go up again albeit very slowly.

If you mean do I think if I hold onto my two year old car will I get more for it than I paid then no!

·
Illegal Alien
5,306 Posts
No, while they are very rare they don't have the demand.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Nada

Not to mention that while they are fantastic cars, they just aren't as iconic as Eliges

·
Registered
795 Posts
You can count on one hand the number of cars that have even a snowball's chance of ever experiencing appreciation.

The Lotus Evora would not be one of them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If the Evora turns out to be the last clean sheet Lotus road car design ever , I can see it eventually appreciating in value (in about 20 years time), possibly faster If Lotus go out of business altogether.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I appreciate my Evora every day :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ehh probably not. If any it will be the "rare" models. Unlikely as they don't have the factors that would drive up the price. Think McLaren F1/ Enzo or F40/50 cars for increase in value.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
As someone that has seen the Elise's and Exige's appreciate since 2007, I say absolutely, if they stop selling them here. Even the Esprit's aren't really moving much except for mileage and condition. I believe the Evora's will not dip much below the $40k mark at their lowest in the next couple years. We will see some high mileage cars pop up soon enough as its been what 4 years now? Its for the same reason the NSX and the other Lotus's hold their value- their exotic appeal, and drivetrains that will take miles or that can be cheaply replaced. And by appreciate, I mean like less than 5% or hold their value, not skyrocket like a Gullwing coupe.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
As someone that has seen the Elise's and Exige's appreciate since 2007, I say absolutely, if they stop selling them here. Even the Esprit's aren't really moving much except for mileage and condition. I believe the Evora's will not dip much below the $40k mark at their lowest in the next couple years. We will see some high mileage cars pop up soon enough as its been what 4 years now? Its for the same reason the NSX and the other Lotus's hold their value- their exotic appeal, and drivetrains that will take miles or that can be cheaply replaced. And by appreciate, I mean like less than 5% or hold their value, not skyrocket like a Gullwing coupe.
Uhhh...what do you mean 'other Lotus models' hold their value? Esprits are selling for dimes on the dollar. And the trick is getting one that truly is in decent shape, not just one that looks good. True, fully restored Type 14 Elites, 26R Elans and Sprints, and now even some Europa (Twin Cams mostly) are selling for more for their original selling prices. But NOT when factoring in inflation or certainly not restoration costs. And real 7's in great shape are off the charts.

The older Lotus selling at higher prices now are restored cars...restored at high cost...and making financial sense not to the person who restored it..but to the person who bought it from the person who restored it. They are not daily or even frequent drivers, but almost strictly weekend show cars. Accumulating miles devalues cars.

So if you buy it an park it to keep from accumulating miles...to what end? It sits in the garage and you don't enjoy it other than to sit in the garage and look at it. It appreciating is a crap shoot, and there are other investments that will get you a better return.Can't get away from that.

Current Lotus models, Elise, Exige, Evora likely won't follow a far distant path. Do they have more robust drivetrains? Sure. But a high mileage car is a high mileage car, and they don't appreciate.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Appreciation might have been a bit strong of a word, but they should level off after dipping to their lowest. The Esprit V8's are the oldest car I was referring to. I'm only talking on the exotic market of the last 15 years. The S2 Elise/Exige have appreciated over the last 5 years, if they haven't been driven to terribly much. When the OP says asks if they ever will, I ignored the idea of a life time.
Its next to impossible to draw a correlation of the early era cars and the current products, and how future regulations may effect appreciation...or outlawing.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
If a person buys a car in hopes of it appreciating in value, they're buying for the wrong reason me thinks.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Anyone think the Evora's and Evora S's will ever appreciate in value?
Yes, the more I drive it the more I realize what an amazing value it is and the more I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts