The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the Elise for a daily driver. The small size is fine (a plus, actually - I've been driving a Miata for over 10 years and a Fiat Spyder before that) but if it leaked regularly...well, that'd be a problem. Especially bad would be leaks while driving or parked as opposed to a water dump when you opened the doors.

Does anyone know if the stock cloth top seals well? How about the other options. The stock hard top? That cool autostyle t-top?

Perhaps ideal for this car would be a two-piece hard top that you could store in the trunk and forget about the soft top altogether. It'd be faster to put on and take off, and presumably seal better as well.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
I've read the S2 soft top is much better than the S1. If I were you I'd get the factory hard top. I assume it will give the best seal and security. Plus if you track the car, you can have a little extra protection.

I am ordering it. Along with a certain brash color....:D

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I don't own a car that doesn't leak. I'm not even sure why my Jeep has a top on - you get just as wet either way. And the damn M is little more than than a collection point for rainwater. AHAHA!!!

I think I need to move to someplace dryer.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
What is this rain you talk about? :)

Randy (in Sunny San Diego)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Leaking, of course it will leak

I sure hope it leeks. Is there anyone on this site that has driven a lotus in the rain and not had it leak. I know personally my best experiences in the europa have been trying to get home as fast as I could with water pouring on my leg and into my shoes in the footwell. All this business about great handling, hah! we all know what owning a lotus is really about.

Jim
(If it doesn't leak, then I'll have to drive without the top):D

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
So... we were wondering who brought the rain! :)

It only significantly rains here like a week a year. Normally that is once or twice a year. So we get a storm in late fall, and one in late winter.

And then no rain most of late spring thru early fall. Perfect driving weather.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too would be using the car as a daily driver. Is the US getting a "new and improved" S3 model? Perhaps it'll come with a bilge pump. :p

Craigy - could you perhaps be a little more specific as to the types/locations of the most common leaks?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Liz (S2 111s) leaks a tiny bit. After a long, very wet drive a couple of drops fall in from the driver's side at the top/front end of the driver's window.

Mind you this happened three times, each time is was really, really pissing down.

Apparently a S2 shouldn't have to leak. There are some methods which I don't recall and can't be bothered with. My leak is totally insignificant and the car only gets parked in a locked garage 99,9% of the time.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Posted on the SELOC board sometime ago. Treating the fabric with scotchgard or other spray on waterproofing helps the leaking situation substantially apparently. Impression I got was the water beads up and slides off to quickly to collect in potentially leaky areas.
Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leak or no leak its not a big deal

When my miata first leaked I was concerned about it after a week I forgot about it until it rained again and after a while I learned how to dogde getting wet as much as possible. Am I really concerned about it? No I think its funny although my girlfriend does not agree with that. Since it appears the soft top is just a specially cut cloth that has seals and is waterproof most likely it will leak a little some especially if not carefully assembled but who cares just bring a towel along and drive it and enjoy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just Deal with it

Personally I'll deal. Remember that "this car has less leather than a football"(Arnie Johnson, LCU) I've never owned a car that didn't leak and a car that it doesn't matter if it does get wet, well... thats even better. Bring on teh MONSOON:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts