The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to pass up the LSS. However, i might upgrade the wheels on the car instead. If i replace the front rims with 17s and rear with 18s, with lighter aftermarket wheels, will this improve accel. or make it slower? larger wheel=larger diamater=longer to make one rotation? what do you guys think? will the weight difference improve accleration?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The weight is the most critical factor or more precisely the the amount of weight on the outside of the wheel/tire or in engineering speak, the polar moment of enertia.
But, why go to non-standard size wheels, as has been said many times on this forum the suspension is tuned as a unit including the wheels and tires. Unless you really understand suspension dynamics you only stand to make the car handle worse, not better. The Elise suspension is tuned to a much higher degree than most cars, it is not a good idea to alter one aspect of the suspension unless you understand cause and effect.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The stock rears are 225/45-17, right? 225/40-18 would barely change the size, due to the shorter sidewall.

I don't know how heavy the stock wheels and tires are, but I doubt you'll accelerate harder with 18 inch wheels, even if they're lighter, due to the effect of rotational inertia.

And I doubt 18 inch wheels would work well, if at all, in the front.

As for neurotically using only the stock tires and sizes, in general I don't believe in that. But it is true that the Elise has unusual tire sizes, which means changing the tire sizes without disturbing the handling balance will be difficult.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts