The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started out with little cars we could all work on with regular tools. Now we have an Earth bound spaceship most of us will never see (Evija)

And we all ask, where is Lotus going? What will they offer us the coming years? Compete with Ferrari? Porsche? Lambo? McLaren?

I have often thought of McLaren as what Lotus would be, if they, and we their supporters, had the money. As I understand it a lot of McLaren’s talent were Lotus people.

Many of us would consider a used 570 McLaren over the nicest thing Lotus now offers.

Where will Lotus be positioned compared to McLaren in four years? If lesser, how much less of an exotic sports machine will they be?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I for one have no interest in a $200,000 Lotus. I became interested in Lotus after seeing Jim Clark & Graham Hill drive the Lotus 49 GP cars and after seeing the type 47 Europas at the BOAC 500. That interest festered until (and after) I bought a 4 year old Europa Special in 1978. I still have the Europa and recently added a 2012 Evora S. I like cars that I can work on, although not necessarily for huge projects like engine rebuilds. Lotus maintenance/repair is often fairly easy when compared with other exotic cars. McLaren? A friend of mine bought one and said the warranty is voided if you or anyone else not employed by McLaren puts a wrench on it! Count me out of that jive.
Lotus needs an Elise type car, an Evora type car, and the "it's inevitable, so let's get it over with" SUV. Why would anyone buy a $200 grand Lotus when there are so many other cars (one year old Ferraris, McLarens, Lambos, etc.) in that segment each of which has a far better dealer network in the US?

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
I would like to rephrase the title of the thread. A Lotus is the wiser man's McLaren. They are amazing cars that have driveability with the best in the business. Richer does not mean wiser, just being clear here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We started out with little cars we could all work on with regular tools. Now we have an Earth bound spaceship most of us will never see (Evija)

And we all ask, where is Lotus going? What will they offer us the coming years? Compete with Ferrari? Porsche? Lambo? McLaren?

I have often thought of McLaren as what Lotus would be, if they, and we their supporters, had the money. As I understand it a lot of McLaren’s talent were Lotus people.

Many of us would consider a used 570 McLaren over the nicest thing Lotus now offers.

Where will Lotus be positioned compared to McLaren in four years? If lesser, how much less of an exotic sports machine will they be?
It is stupid to say 'Poor Man's McLaren' . It is a completely different brand, and they are not 'trying' to be McLaren. Lots of people buy them as the enjoy the cars, not because they cannot afford another brand.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just what I’ve thought of for 20 years, what we Lotus fans wish they could be. That V8 Esprit we’ve wanted.

My dedication to Lotus is known, they just don’t offer anything right now I’d want in my garage. But quite looking forward to seeing what they might offer in say three years.

In the meantime I feel our Mac is so Lotuslike in the important ways. The steering and handling so similar, the philosophy on the same page.

Apologies for coming over as some pompous jerk, but I feel very comfortable hanging in a group of Lotus folks and cars, even though we only have one Lotus in the garage for now. After all, some of the same people designed them.

·
Less is Better
2,480 Posts
This is not referring to you, @XHILR8N! but I feel bad for people who buy a Lotus as a stepping stone to something more "exotic" because it's a disservice to the car and shows a bit of ignorance on the part of the owner. This suggests that the cars aren't complete in concept or somehow designed to fill a market gap. I see Lotus as a sports car manufacturer, not an exotic car manufacturer. These are cars that are amazing to drive and don't need more anything. They happen to look cool too.

I bought and own my Elise because I love, love, love the pure, unfiltered experience. I don't aspire to own something more. In fact, I own more "exotic" cars that I absolutely do not prefer. I don't have any desire for a McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or whatever. I've been in, driven, or owned them, and none is as entertaining to drive as my Lotus.

Lotus has clearly gone off and built a very, very high end exotic. But personally, I hope they don't lose sight of the incredibly small, impossibly light (manual transmission) sports cars that I enjoy more than anything.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Given its age, Elise has held up surprisingly well, both in looks and performance.

Kudos to Lotus.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We all know that Lotus best chance going forward is an updated Elise that the average guy can aim for, like I did fourteen years ago, Age 50. My dream as a college boy could come true! From there we got 102 days on track. One of the very best experiences of my life. The sweet Europa and the marvelous Evora broadened the wonder of the Lotus experience.

All because of the brilliance of the Elise That I realized I could actually own.

Yes other cars, more monied cars came along as I matured and my means changed. We’ll see what they come up with to tempt us in future.

It all goes back to the intro of “The Prisoner” for a very young man. That Lotus dream

·
Less is Better
2,480 Posts
We all know that Lotus best chance going forward is an updated Elise that the average guy can aim for, like I did fourteen years ago, Age 50. My dream as a college boy could come true! From there we got 102 days on track. One of the very best experiences of my life. The sweet Europa and the marvelous Evora broadened the wonder of the Lotus experience.

All because of the brilliance of the Elise That I realized I could actually own.

Yes other cars, more monied cars came along as I matured and my means changed. We’ll see what they come up with to tempt us in future.

It all goes back to the intro of “The Prisoner” for a very young man. That Lotus dream

Their best chance forward is an SUV and parts sharing to avoid overwhelming tooling costs. But their reputation is cars like the Seven, giant killers through out of the box, clever engineering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts