The Lotus Cars Community banner

Will you drive or trailer your Elise to autocross and track events?

• Drive! Spare tires, jack and all other tools be damned!

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Trailer! Need all the spares I can haul around.

Votes: 8 25.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a car with LSS, I want it! I like the wheels a bit more than the standard suspension's and I know that I'll more than likely try to autocross and open track the car a few times each year.

Considering the LSS comes with A048 tires with treadwear rating of 60, I wonder how many people will drive the car to autocross events, and how many might trailer it?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
the entire purpose of this car for me is that i can drive it to and from events. If i was going to trailer i'd buy a Radical SR3.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I''m autocrossing on Kumho Victoracer V700 tires that have even lower 50 rating (I must say though you can not compare ratings between different manufacturers). I drive on them to and from events 40-130 miles each way. I beleive wear from normal road use is negligable comparing to autocross runs.

rtking said:
Considering the LSS comes with A048 tires with treadwear rating of 60, I wonder how many people will drive the car to autocross events, and how many might trailer it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Definitely putting it on the trailer. I'm planning on campaigning the car in prosolo, and the national tour next year. It would just be to many miles for the car and the tires. Local events I'll probably drive it though.

P.S. I hope every has sent their letter to SEB asking for the car to be put in SS and SMAC for SM2. I'm dreaming of a fully prepped SM2 Elise, please help make my dream come true.

P.S.S. It is not unheard of for people to drive 500-1000 mile on V700's to an event.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Next year I'll most likely just drive it to events on the A048's. For local events it's no issue, and a few road trips to Divisonals and a couple of the closer national events (Topeka, Peru) should be fine. I might also still drive the WRX at some of the events.

Longer term, when I'll probably want stickier tires... I'll figure something out. Maybe somebody finds a way to attach a trailer hitch. Or I'll try and find a codriver who owns a tow vehicle and trailer (I got a couple of informal offers already). Find somebody with a trailer who can carry an extra set of tires. Borrow/rent a tow vehicle.

I don't really see myself owning a tow vehicle and trailer anytime soon. Even though I'm starting to see the benefits of trailering, I had some car trouble at almost every event I've been to this year, and it would be nice to know that you can still get home in any case. And I'd like to keep the milage on the Elise down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you drop a little extra money for an aluminium trailer you could tow the elise with just about anything with a tow package. I'm going to use a nissan xterra with tranny and oil cooler to tow with. A friend of mine has been towing his boston whaler with it for 2 years without any problem. I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to drive a cummins turbo diesel to be able to tow a car.

I also would like to continue driving my subaru but I think I'm going to have to sell it to afford the elise.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah... I think I would prefer to drive the Elise to most track events, but after seeing what an open-track event can do to cars over the last few years, I've learned that having a back-up (i.e. tow vehicle) is important.

But for me... I'm tempted to sell my '02 Audi Avant and buy a '04 Nissan Murano. (I had an '03 Murano before it got totalled by a landscaping truck.) The Murano should tow the Elise without any problems and gets about the same mileage as the Audi Avant (believe it or not!)

Bob

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I drive my Caterham 7 to autocrosses on Avon CR-500s that have a treadwear rating of 20 and the drive doesn't wear them hardly at all compared to the autocross. It is also fun to drive to an autocross beat almost everyone (almost!) and drive home, and when ask just tell them the tires are ratty old street tires! Caterham owners I know get 3000 - 5000 miles on CR-500s using them as street tires.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I might trailer the car to long distance events to keep my miles down. It only takes a few N. Cal track events to put a few extra thousand miles on the car per year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll also probably trailer my Elise to autox events since it's about a 300 mile round trip. I too want to keep the mileage down a little since I'll already be driving it almost daily.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I trailer the Exige (because it isn't street legal), but I would trailer anyway. It is so nice to have a big truck to drive and a place to store all the crap with ease (in the trailer).

Finding a place to keep the truck/trailer is usually the hard part.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought a nissan titan yesterday to tow my Elise. I got to have a air conditioned spot to do my safety stewarting from. :D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
meat said:
Finding a place to keep the truck/trailer is usually the hard part.
This is why I will drive to and from. The A048 are holding up nicely on Randy's car. I suspect they will last much longer than many of us had predicted. 8-10k miles seems doable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would most likely trailer to events since it's about a 150 mile round trip to the 'local' site (and that's sometimes 2 or 3 times a month). National events are at least 500 miles one way, with the next closest being about 850.

1) Already having a tow vehicle and trailer which helps with the decision.

2) If something breaks, I can still get home.

3) Keeps mileage low. Since I've been towing the Subaru, I've put 15K miles on it, over the 3 years. 35K in the 1st year, with 3.5K being nationals alone.

Towing it really does keep the mileage down unless you have an auto-x within 50 miles. :)

But I'm gonna wanna drive it everywhere! :) (Garaged in the winter)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts