The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 with stock wheels and tires. The original tires are only made by Yokohama and wider tires (width 205) can be put on instead of going with the original spec tires but I think that they are not really recommended for a narrow non-sport rim.

Figured a wider rim would work better if I put 205s on the front.

I bought an extra set of used standard rims with nearly worn out tires in case I ever got a flat so I wouldnt be stranded. Obviously the back tires are too wide and high to fit on the front but would I be able to use the rims on the front of the car with a smaller tire or would the offset be all wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I have an 05 with stock wheels and tires. The original tires are only made by Yokohama and wider tires (width 205) can be put on instead of going with the original spec tires but I think that they are not really recommended for a narrow non-sport rim.

Figured a wider rim would work better if I put 205s on the front.

I bought an extra set of used standard rims with nearly worn out tires in case I ever got a flat so I wouldnt be stranded. Obviously the back tires are too wide and high to fit on the front but would I be able to use the rims on the front of the car with a smaller tire or would the offset be all wrong?
I think the back rims will hit the brake calipers on the front. It would clear with a spacer to move it out, but I dunno how that would play with the wheelwells. This is with the LSS wheels. The standard wheel is the same size and offset, but the different structure of the wheel spokes might mean they would work.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Why do you want a wider tyre? If it is for performance then putting it on a bigger rim may offset that advantage...

That said the offset is 7mm different... so not dramatic... it may work :shrug:

I think the back rims will hit the brake calipers on the front. It would clear with a spacer to move it out, but I dunno how that would play with the wheelwells. This is with the LSS wheels. The standard wheel is the same size and offset, but the different structure of the wheel spokes might mean they would work.
I don't think there will be an issue with brake clearance as one of the big brake kits has an option to move the front brakes to the rear.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you want a wider tyre? If it is for performance then putting it on a bigger rim may offset that advantage...
I dont really want a wider tire its just that 175/55/16 or whatever the standard front tire size is only is made by one manufacturer. The sport package rims are wider (either 6 or 6.5 inches with 195/50/16's) but I dont like the idea of putting wider tires on the narrow 5 1/2 inch standard rims.

Was thinking that if I got a 205/40/17 inch tire it would have the same 23.5 inch circumference as the 175/55/16 and would fit on the recommended wider rim size.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
I dont really want a wider tire its just that 175/55/16 or whatever the standard front tire size is only is made by one manufacturer. The sport package rims are wider (either 6 or 6.5 inches with 195/50/16's) but I dont like the idea of putting wider tires on the narrow 5 1/2 inch standard rims.

Was thinking that if I got a 205/40/17 inch tire it would have the same 23.5 inch circumference as the 175/55/16 and would fit on the recommended wider rim size.
No problem putting the 195s on the 5.5 rims (that's what I have). I know people have 205s (khumos) on the 5.5 rims too... but I think its too much.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
195 are the max allowable size on the base rims (5.5) works fine although the wheels are heavy and basically suck. I'm retiring mine when the tires are shot. May just keep the rears for some backup track rubber.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the upgraded stock tires the A048 insted of the AD07(comes with 5.5 wide wheels) on my car, they have some sidewall roll/flex but in the end i am still faster around my local track with whatever the standard A048 tire is than the AD07 and they fit on the stock wheels.

However I did just order a set of Rota Torques from Fast Toys here on lotustalk for $760 shipped so I will see how the wider wheels do.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I don't think there will be an issue with brake clearance as one of the big brake kits has an option to move the front brakes to the rear.
And the geometry of the the front and rear brake locations are identical? Don't bet on that.

Look: I did mount a rear LSS wheel on the front to spin-check it. It hit the brakes. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I changed to 8" wide front rims and it is way better than the 6.5" OZs with the same old tires.

The major issue that I see is that the taller 17" rim (versus 16") means that a lower profile tire needs to be used. The problem is that the car is light in the front and one would lose tire suspension so any road bumpiness with tend to float the front end. One might be better off with a 15" wider rim than a 17" wider rim - assuming that the brakes clear.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
And the geometry of the the front and rear brake locations are identical? Don't bet on that.

Look: I did mount a rear LSS wheel on the front to spin-check it. It hit the brakes. That's all I'm saying.
OK! I haven't done it so your test is the real answer - thanks!

I changed to 8" wide front rims and it is way better than the 6.5" OZs with the same old tires.

The major issue that I see is that the taller 17" rim (versus 16") means that a lower profile tire needs to be used. The problem is that the car is light in the front and one would lose tire suspension so any road bumpiness with tend to float the front end. One might be better off with a 15" wider rim than a 17" wider rim - assuming that the brakes clear.
What wheels have now? And what size on the back?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts