The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DRL = Daytime Running Lights.

I think they're mandatory by U.S. spec, but I really feel like they really detract from the daytime look of cars. I dunno, I can't really explain why, lights just look silly during the day. I don't think that any Elise will need extra lights to make sure people notice it. :)

Lots of VW owners have been replacing their light switches to "Euro" switches to remove their DRL's, and I'm wondering what we think the Elise is going to have?

Steve

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Elise + lights = good

IMHO it helps enormously to make other road users notice you as the car is pretty small and low to the ground.

Especially the darker or less obvious colors will need all the extra "I'm here" hints you can get...

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I always make a habit of turning on my lights in day and night driving. I have head that it increases your vehicle’s visibility to other drivers by better than 70%.

:eek: Not a bad idea if you drive a small car or if you tend to drive fast and want people to know your approaching.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My car has DRL's. Many people disable them (instructions available on the internet...). They don't really bother me, I rarely see my car while it's driving. ;) And I believe that they could improve safety.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Here's what I've learned from traffic school(don't ask:D) :

Daytime Running Lights make a vehicle visible a mile away during daylight hours, as opposed to the half-mile of visibility a vehicle typically has without its low beam headlights on. In fact, daytime running lights have been used for years in Canada and Scandinavia. They come on when the car is started and are overridden when the headlights are illuminated. Norway experienced a 10% decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes during the 1980’s. Daytime multiple-vehicle crashes account for half of all police-reported crashes in the United States.

Sounds like DRLs are a smart safety feature. Mine will stay on.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yep, I think that for this very small low profile car, daytime running lights may not be such a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
DRLs are not mandatory in the US. They are mandatory in Canada.

You, too, can have DRLs if only you remember to flip the headlight switch when you start up the car.

Some factory DRL systems are truly obnoxious. Take Saturn for example, they use the high-beams with reduced power (but not reduced by much) for DRLs. That results in light shining up into the eyes of oncoming drivers, which isn't cool.

When it comes to lights, locks, climate, and wipers, I don't like stuff that happens automatically. I prefer a well-designed manual control, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts