The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm going to take a stab at installing my new Sugaray/Riceburner gauge cluster, needles and LED rings.

My question is, once I remove the binnacle, will the car still start and drive? Running out of gas or breaking the speed limits are not a concern.

Also, can someone please point me to the thread that contain the best installation guides? I've bookmarked the 'Elise gauge cluster mod' thread, but I seem to remember at least one other that gives tips on the install. I've got the panel, the needles, and the LED rings.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yes, it should work. The ECU broadcasts stuff on the CAN bus, and the cluster displays it - there's no fancy 2-way encryption shenanigans like on some German cars, or dashboard-sourced ECU signals like on some older cars where the tach controlled the ECU.

Mileage is stored and accumulated in the cluster, though, so you're technically making a mileage discrepancy when you run without...

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,584 Posts
I think that thread is the best place to go to do the install. It is easy to remove, and everything should seem straight forward if you’ve done anything similar. Zeroing the needles can take some time, mine are now close enough to where I don’t want to remove anything again. The plexiglas can also take some time to fit because the non-stock needles don’t fit under it like the stock ones do.

I believe the car will run without the cluster, I haven’t tried it though. If you look at Phil’s videos he doesn’t have the cluster there and I’m guessing he doesn’t have it plugged in and just hidden.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts