The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Will the Evija be a contender?

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  brgelise 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Today's auto industry and all of its super-ultra-hypercar-obsessed computers-will-think-for-you madness has long since been placed in the 'apathetic' pile for me. I love Lotus and will always root for them, but the overall 'convention' that they and everyone else today are a part of has just lost something... if that makes any sense.

I don't consider myself a nostalgic curmudgeon or anything like that either (I think the internet is indispensable, for example)... it's just the classics are now so much more special and appealing than they've ever been - and I'm sure our cars are headed down that path as well. No driver aids, stick, lightweight, aluminum tub, smiles :)

#6 ·
I would have thought if Lotus were going all out with a next level crazy electric hypercar for publicity it would need to be next level numbers. Some particular record they are breaking to get the headlines. On paper its slower than the Tesla Plaid for 0-60 and top speed which is 1:20th the price (and those are real numbers). There are several other electric hypercars that already do over 200mph and 0-60 in less than 3s.

It looks ok and probably handles well but wheres the 'pointless' world record breaking number to get people looking at them again.

#9 ·
On paper its slower than the Tesla Plaid for 0-60 and top speed which is 1:20th the price (and those are real numbers).
Lotus has never announced 0 - 60 or top speed numbers for the Evija. They only gave vague answers to those. The only thing they did announce was it would get to like 180MPH in 9 seconds or something crazy. I forget exact numbers.

#7 ·
The Evija is a marketing stunt. It’s overpriced for a reason. They won’t make many if at all and they won’t get driven much because of the price.
What I’m really interested in is how it’s tech will be implemented in their next real hopefully attainable line up.
I really hope they stay true to their roots and not fall into this silly numbers game of 0-60 and autobahn times. Give the drivers something really enjoyable to drive at below supercar cost.

#12 ·
What everyone here keeps missing is the single most important number!!! If a 10 minute full charge can be achieved, the game has changed and that tech will be worth an absolute FORTUNE!!! I will repeat this in case you missed it!! 10 minute recharge!!! That just made it a routine gas stop and I'd be all over this.

This is no different than all those high HP cars that on paper should rip the Evora (any version) a new one. What the numbers do not explain is some are so difficult to drive at the limit that only a handful of (let's say Johnny O'Connell's) can remotely find those limits. Thus a Joe Average like me can keep up and often walk big HP because the Evora is extremely easy to drive because of superior engineering. How a car handles in the rain is always a prime indicator of balance. Sorry Corvette.

Reactions: mattjk
#14 ·
Yup, a ten minute charge will be an eye opener for me. I like ev cars, but after owning a full ev, i will never buy another until the range is over 6 to 700 and full charge in less than ten mins.

Range anxiety is terrible, especially when you have be somewhere and some jackass has their chevy volt plugged in and is no where to be found...

For now, I love my REX i3... takes less than 30 seconds to pump 2 gallons of gas and I'm good to go again.

#15 ·
Lotus announced that 0-60 was not their target... as it makes little sense to try to be 0.01 seconds faster to 60 than someone else's car....sure you get some bragging rights but once you get in the range of about 3 seconds for 0-60 you're dang quick and the 0.01 difference is nothing a Lotus driver should be concerned about because it's not a dragster........they did consider things like 60 to 150 important though (or whatever they quoted as the top number, maybe it was something different than 150)......and for the 'fast to very fast' range Lotus did beat the other cars.

As to the Tuatara..........Let's see......first of all if I've got that kind of money I guess I could pay the State and Highway Patrol enough money for them to close and man a nearby Turnpike for a while, hire an ambulance to stand by...and then drive it at 330 miles an hour in a straight line for maybe a short time frame. After that I get to drive it home doing 70 like everybody else on the highway.......or load it into the 18 wheeler toy hauler and then drive the truck home at 70. Would it's times at Laugna seca be really that much better than some IMSA Prototype? Yeah, like the Tuatara would be able to stick at 200 through the keyhole at Mid-Ohio......

And then there's the speed from the satire of the movie StarWars > SpaceBalls......you know...........they went Ludicrous Speed!!!

#17 ·
I'm tired of all this Evija sucks, the Evija is not a Lotus, the Evija is all wrong for Lotus crap (and to be fair the same goes for the Lotus SUV). As a lifelong Lotus fan and having owned at least one for over 13 years I've had plenty of time to consider all this.

Lotus needs a halo car to rebuild the brand - to get people talking. Bahars nice jackets and C list celebs were not the way.

Lotus needs to make money. SUVs make money. Lotus always has built other types of cars and even previewed an SUV years ago before they were fashonable. Deal with it, once it's dynamically competitive (like a Stelvio), built well and reliable then it should introduce new people to the brand and provide $$$$ to build new Eliges/Elans/Evoras/Esprits.

The Evija? I haven't seen this Top Gear video on here but it's worth watching. It tells a lot about the car and it is very Lotus like (bar the banshee sound). Its very light (for an electric car - way less than a Rimac which is its only real competitor) so job done there. They are not directly shooting 0-60 times, largely cause the car is too powerful and too light to put all the power down at go. It is insanely fast at speed (it takes half the time a Chiron takes to go from 124 to 180). While this is truely academic, it is a nice metric to outrun the hypercars. It seems like it handles like a Lotus - lets face it, theres no way it wouldn't. If they can do something with the charging and make it truely fast too then I think it's job completely done showing that Lotus is back and you need to take our new Evorelige seriously.

Saying that, if it had an LFA V10 in the back, it definitely might be more desireable but I really don't think it would stand out - going electric ensures its not just white noise

I liked the Evija from the start and get thier thinking, especially as someone who has wanted Lotus to show what they can do without money restrictions, but this Top Gear video really impressed me as it showed they have built a real Lotus - albeit one that none of us on here will ever drive....

#19 · (Edited)
I'm tired of all this Evija sucks, the Evija is not a Lotus, the Evija is all wrong for Lotus crap (and to be fair the same goes for the Lotus SUV). As a lifelong Lotus fan and having owned at least one for over 13 years I've had plenty of time to consider all this.

Lotus needs a halo car to rebuild the brand - to get people talking. Bahars nice jackets and C list celebs were not the way.

Lotus needs to make money. SUVs make money. Lotus always has built other types of cars and even previewed an SUV years ago before they were fashonable. Deal with it, once it's dynamically competitive (like a Stelvio), built well and reliable then it should introduce new people to the brand and provide $$$$ to build new Eliges/Elans/Evoras/Esprits.

The Evija? I haven't seen this Top Gear video on here but it's worth watching. It tells a lot about the car and it is very Lotus like (bar the banshee sound). Its very light (for an electric car - way less than a Rimac which is its only real competitor) so job done there. They are not directly shooting 0-60 times, largely cause the car is too powerful and too light to put all the power down at go. It is insanely fast at speed (it takes half the time a Chiron takes to go from 124 to 180). While this is truely academic, it is a nice metric to outrun the hypercars. It seems like it handles like a Lotus - lets face it, theres no way it wouldn't. If they can do something with the charging and make it truely fast too then I think it's job completely done showing that Lotus is back and you need to take our new Evorelige seriously.

Saying that, if it had an LFA V10 in the back, it definitely might be more desireable but I really don't think it would stand out - going electric ensures its not just white noise

I liked the Evija from the start and get thier thinking, especially as someone who has wanted Lotus to show what they can do without money restrictions, but this Top Gear video really impressed me as it showed they have built a real Lotus - albeit one that none of us on here will ever drive....

You make sense. I welcome Lotus' expansion to other market segments as long as they maintain a focus on their original mission. I'm eager to see what's coming. The Evija looks great in photos and on paper. I wish all who are lucky enough to afford one the happiest of trails. Those guys, they probably have all the other amazing stuff too!

I'm interested in Lotus' evolution in whatever direction but the Evija is a quantum step out of my league so my comments are boringly familiar but here goes anyway. I'm more interested in what they can do as a well capitalized operation between say, $50K to 200K. The Evija, is an impressive object but it has no relevance to me except as it helps the brand and until the ideas and knowledge gained trickle down to something I can get my hands on. I think a lot of people must surely feel this way, but if not, I still do. No theoretical machinery is as much fun for me as my Ducati or my Evora, relatively easy stuff to buy and own. It beggars my mind to think that there are little cars that people can buy and drive that cost five or six times more than a well equipped Rolls or any of several available new Ferraris. Everybody who's anybody in this business builds these things so there must be a market and a reason but perhaps selfishly (not! I am generous and kind!) I look forward much more to what's coming next for me.

#20 ·
Because.....much of the aero bits and streamlined effieiciencies this body creates are the basis for a Type 131. The Evija amortizes all these research costs. "Times they are a chargin"
The writing is on the wall. Evolve or become extinct. Maybe Evolve is a good 'E" word.....Evulva would be a bit crass.....

#22 ·
At this point, it would be nice to have some more transparency from Lotus. The "new" Elise was supposed to be here this year, correct? Maybe if we knew which models where coming people would hold off on buying other sports cars. I don't think having the Lotus community kept in the dark is a good tactic. Unless they just don't have anything ready.

#23 ·
I was in for some service this week at the Toronto Lotus dealer. I asked about the new lineup of cars. The dealer said that recently Lotus had shown them some cars or prototypes that are in the pipeline. However they were told to keep the details private.

So I gather that there is something coming but not immediately. A bit of Deja Vu really.

#25 ·
Remember, everything has been pushed back 6-12 months courtesy of COVID. Type 131 has only been announced, per se in past 6 months so be patient

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.