The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I was curious that if and when I need to have better access to the top of the engine will the rear boot hold weight?
Also, is there a way to remove the rear lid or if I just disconnect the struts am I able to keep the rear at a vertical position and out of the way?
It's a far reach to the engine having your feet planted on the floor.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I sit/kneel/climb in there all the time. I'm 6'2" and 170lbs.

You can remove the hatch, but it is a real pain to get re-aligned again later, and if you make a small error and it latches shut... then there is a real chance you won't be able to open it again without cutting the bolts and glue of boot floor out to get some vice grips on the latches.

You can disconnect the struts had tie a rope to the hatch to hold it open vertically, if you have enough ceiling height.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Are we planning on storing a body?

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks & LOL.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed today how the alternator is so close to the firewall.
Curious..you remove that from underneath-yes? holy-moly.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The rear boot will hold your weight if you are at all within normal ranges for your height.

Alternator comes out of the top.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Disconnecting the upper struts at the ball join connector will allow the tailgate to be opened almost to vertical. I kneel on the rear boot insert all the time, but I am careful to spread my weight.... 224 #'s.

·
Registered
327 Posts
there's 10 bolts around the edges of the floor. Just pull the carpet back, and remove the bolts. The boost controller, vacuum pump and EPV controllers need to be disconnected, and the coolant tank unbolted from the floor.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
No, that's not correct for an 89.

The boot floor is bonded in, needs to be cut out, along with the bolts. The writing harness had several plugs, boost control frequency valve, throttle hack, ebpv, vacuum hose have to be removed, but not the coolant tank.

·
Super Moderator
4,246 Posts
Alternator is easy... 5 min job.
I must be an idiot - my alternator belt broke and I tried to adjust/tighten the bolts on the alternator (from under the car). I spend an hour screwing around before I gave up and had the car towed the next day to the shop.

The issue for me was I could not get a 2nd wrench in there to hold a nut while tightening the bolt on the plastic sliding bracket. Between the tight confines and my fat hands, it was frustrating for sure.

The alternator (for me) could not be reached properly from the top.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Eddie,

Your 88 is different. The BOSCH K-Jetronic stuff is in the way.

On an 89 Esprit, none of that is there!

Disconnect battery
Disconnect the wires from the alt to the starter.

Two 13mm wrenches to loosen the top pivot axle nuts.
then with one hand on a deep 13mm socket on a small 1/4" ratchet, loosen the alternator lower nut on the plastic strap. That bolt is captive, so it only takes one hand. Drop the alternator down and slide off the belt. Pull the belt out the top.

Remove the lower nut and hold onto the adjuster bolt. Then remove the front nut on the alt top pivot and pull the axle rear-wards. Use a magnet to capture all the washers.

Pull the alternator out the top.

To re-install it is possible to drop the belt down from the top and hook it over the lower pulley, so you don't even need the car on jack-stands or the lower tray removed.

Re tension the laternator by placing a pry bar between the alt body and the alternator bracket, and gently but firmly pull the alt upwards counterclockwise (viewed from the rear) with the left while tightening the lower strap adjuster nut with the right hand

·
Super Moderator
4,246 Posts
Eddie,

Your 88 is different. The BOSCH K-Jetronic stuff is in the way.

On an 89 Esprit, none of that is there![snip]
Ah - and to think I thought I was losing my mind!

The Lotus mechanics that work on my car are all about 5'8" or smaller with much smaller hands than mine - definite advantage. And having a lift helps a lot rotfl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts