The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
jwocky, if you are going to "talk Elises", you need to first read all about Lotus in general, and then how they built the Elise - fibreglass panels hand laid up, and then the vacuum injection (pioneered by the small team at Lotus) and so on. THIS is the true essence of Lotus. If you read the books on how the Elise was created, and see the video, only then will you understand the skill and innovative approach behind the car. How they first drove the mocked up chassis in the rain late on that Christmas eve; the amazement of the Renault team who first saw the glued chassis (their Spider with welded chassis was some 200 kg heavier, and subsequently flopped); how, after 3 weeks, Richard Rackham finally found how to mount the wiper motor so it would wipe the windscreen and allow the single wiper; how they tested the brakes on Stelvio; how they fought the European legislation to get the first car approved in such a short time, etc etc. If you think the Elise is just made like any other car, you will not get the full pleasure and wonderment from the entire project. To get the full value, you must live Lotus, not just buy a finished product.
IMHO, :)
Giles.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
waelsie said:
jwocky, if you are going to "talk Elises", you need to first read all about Lotus in general, and then how they built the Elise - fibreglass panels hand laid up, and then the vacuum injection (pioneered by the small team at Lotus) and so on.
At least on the S2 (and fed-Elise) the clams are more of an 'industrial process' fiberglass and are now made by Sotira in france who use large stainless steel moulds and high-pressure resin injection to create them. Makes them quite a bit more uniform, but still not very...

The drawback is that this process can not form complex shapes as they need to be able to release from the steel mould. That is why the S2 clams are actually glued together from several pieces, while the S1 clam (hand-made) is an almost single-piece GRP.

And no.. The S2 clam components can not be replaced separately. The bonding used is too strong to separate the pieces without destroying the parts.

The high pressure process makes it possible to form much thinner, but same strength clams. S2 clams are quire a bit lighter than the S1 ones..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It seems you may have seen a poor example, my Elise has none of those problems. I did have a rather stange scraping sound when the radiator fan had come off its mountings and was sliding from side to side in the corners. Now its bolted back its fine.

Oh and Cindy farted when I dated her so dont fell to bad.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
JohnnyQuest said:
It was like getting a date with Cindy Crawford and finding out she farts continuously. Some things can’t be overlooked. I’m sure some guys would put up with the smell. I guess I’m not that desperate.

Please tell me that the “real” cars will be tremendously improved.
I think he was making a joke about the original posters comment...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Wow, I had to bring this one back. Take a look at this now... The interior of my car is tight. I can't get over how much I like the interior.

JohnnyQuest said:
Have you ever lusted after a women (or guy for you women) for a long time and then found out she (he) had bad breath, smoked, drank too much, or anything else that you found really unattractive? That’s what I feel like after 7 years of lust. I drove to Pittsburgh yesterday (4 hours each way) to see the Elise in the flesh. I was worried about it being too small or too cramped so I had to see it and sit in it in person to really know. I actually don’t think it looked that small nor was too difficult to get climb in or out. HOWEVER, I was (and still am) in shock over the fit and finish. This is something I never even questioned or thought about. I know this car (red one) was only a prototype, but it really scared the hell out of me. There was practically nothing that fit right. Now I fully admit that I’m an absolute nut for details (misalignments and rattles drive me crazy), but the Elise reminded me of my Triumphs, except that the fit and finish of the Triumphs was a notch or two above that of the Elise. My 17-year old Alfa GTV6 was immensely better in production quality.

The Elise looked like something from the 60’s in terms of quality. The gaskets of the headlights and turn signals were not entirely flush against the body. All of the black finned pieces (front, side, and back) were askew and they looked so flimsy that I’m sure they could be snapped with one’s fingers. If you run over a rabbit, the front louvers will be destroyed. The doors were not square with the body. The dash material is very cheep looking and curls up a bit at the joints. The plastic shift shroud (from the photos, I thought it was aluminum) looks like it's made of the same gage plastic used to make soda bottles. The thing is fixed by two small exposed Philips head screws, and the whole piece flops around when the shifter is moved. The engine louvers are only glued in place. They were loose on the show car and glue was visible. The leading edge of the soft top did not seal tightly against the corners of the windshield frame. The gas cap looked like it was fabricated in one’s basement with hand tools: the edges are rough and it flops around. The car literally gave me the impression that pieces would fall off at 50 mph and the whole car would come apart at 150.

I tried to not look, because I wanted so desperately to love this car, but these flaws jumped out at me. I’ve been waiting for this car since 1996. Again, I know this is only a prototype, but it looks like a very poorly assemble kit car. If the actually production cars are not seriously improved, there is no way one will end up in my garage. If what I could easily see looked so poorly assembled, I can’t imagine (and don’t want to) see what I couldn’t.

What really amazes me is that no one has mentioned this. Even the road testers have ignored this. Is it a case of the Emperor’s new clothes? Granted, it’s not a luxury car and does not have creature comforts, but what it does have should be of high quality and durability.

It was like getting a date with Cindy Crawford and finding out she farts continuously. Some things can’t be overlooked. I’m sure some guys would put up with the smell. I guess I’m not that desperate.

Please tell me that the “real” cars will be tremendously improved.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Holy thread revival!

I'm sure glad my Elise has a nice, solid finish. Problems, yes, but minimal. I'm glad Cindy stopped farting lol.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>If Colin had his way everything would break just outside warranty <<<

There some partial truth to this. Colin felt that a car that crossed the line in first place and then fell apart in various areas would finally be light enough. If parts never broke on his race cars he kept lightening them up. Some drivers were apprehensive about this concept...bear in mind that crash safety was not nearly as high then as it is now. For example all F1 cars pass rigorous and continuously evolving crash tests.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts