The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about 154 pounds and my friend is 220 pounds, for the exige if I am driving and my friend sit next to me, does the imbalance greatly reduce the handling is lotus is so light and does the car power reduce significantly due to my friend which is 220 pounds?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I am about 154 pounds and my friend is 220 pounds, for the exige if I am driving and my friend sit next to me, does the imbalance greatly reduce the handling is lotus is so light and does the car power reduce significantly due to my friend which is 220 pounds?
With your friend, are you going to be driving competitively, or doing HPDE's where you're seriously concerned about lap times? If so, first, get rid of the 220 altogether.

Seriously, if you're talking about simply driving around on the streets, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
My car is noticably slower when I have a 200+ pound passenger. That's over 10% of the weight of the car, so that makes a big impact on the power to weight ratio. I also see a difference in handling at the limits when I am driving spiritedly with a passenger.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...the difference of driving with a passenger is substantially noticeable, but not what i'd consider debilitating to the car's handling...carrying a passenger just turns everything down a notch - the car still drives well either way...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With your friend, are you going to be driving competitively, or doing HPDE's where you're seriously concerned about lap times? If so, first, get rid of the 220 altogether.

Seriously, if you're talking about simply driving around on the streets, don't worry about it.
Thanks mate, I am talking about just a normal drive on the road(but driving fast) on curving roads.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I gave my 250 lb friend a ride in my Exige and it felt like he ate my supercharger :panic:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I gave my 250 lb friend a ride in my Exige and it felt like he ate my supercharger :panic:
Your friend is not Bavarian Motorist by any chance? rotfl

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Remember that the maximum total passenger weight is 490 lbs.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Remember that the maximum total passenger weight is 490 lbs.
Does the car start smoking and wheels fall off if you go over that capacity>?

We should do some testing.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
It's weird, but even though my car is corner balanced with me in the car. There have been times during autoXs that my times are faster with a passenger. Depending on the direction of the course it seems to settle the car down a bit or something.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I dont see how it would change anything that you would notice.
+1 I'm extremely skeptical that you would notice anything significant on the road.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I could seriously notice a decrease in acceleration with a passenger weighing over 200 pounds.. :no:

My car only transports women under 120 lbs.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
180lbs passenger normally slows me down about 1 second per lap on a 1.8 mile course.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I can personally testify that a 250 lb passenger will make an Exige S feel SLOW. It's blatant. It had me laughing my ass off while I gave the guy a ride. When I explained it, he didn't take offense. I think my words were "you add 2 seconds to my 0-60 time, GTFO", or something cute like that ;)

I wonder what happens if you exceed the max passenger weight. Probably nothing dramatic, until the glue breaks off the aluminium frame or something like that.

That reminds me:
My friend got an older BMW M3 and had the fenders rolled out because he needed to put spacers on the rims (or so he claimed). I forget the exact reason why, but I think it had something to do with an aftermarket suspension and wheel and the tires rubbing on the inside. So he put in spacers and the wheels rubbed on the outside instead. So he paid a shop to roll his fenders without adding any metal. Now if he drives over 80 mph or has a passenger in his back seat, it makes the worst noise ever. It's like a wheel liner burnout... LOL. I'm greatly amused by the situation because he seemingly loves to refuse genuine help and do things the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't know if it make a difference on acceleration as I have never tried it, but when you view the car with the passenger seat empty, then a large person in it, you can see how the car sits differently. I would imagine this changes the handling a little, but would a normal person feel this, I doubt it. Although, during auto-x'ing some people had faster times with a passenger as it may have balanced the car better.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I posted awhile back about how I fit myself, my wife and two chicks in the car all at once. We were just driving around Philly on New years so I didn't notice the handling or anything past my wife's head or past what the two chicks were trying to do to each other. I know I know should have got pics but I was just concerned about hitting something or getting pulled over. All three girls were under 120 and I'm about 175 so I think we broke 490

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I posted awhile back about how I fit myself, my wife and two chicks in the car all at once. We were just driving around Philly on New years so I didn't notice the handling or anything past my wife's head or past what the two chicks were trying to do to each other. I know I know should have got pics but I was just concerned about hitting something or getting pulled over. All three girls were under 120 and I'm about 175 so I think we broke 490

k

1 - 20 of 27 Posts