The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is mod week beyond sticker removals>>>

SilverStar H1 & H7 install today, Porterfield R4S pads on Friday and XPel clear bra went on yesterday...this last item was something to watch...custom install right in my garage...I will say it is always nice to watch an expert and someone who prides themselves in their work. XPel system uses the 3M film but they reduce the number of seams (ie less pieces) and kit includes headlights/turn signal lights and both parts of the outside rear view mirrors..Michael

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I saw Michael's car this weekend -- this is a guy who knows how to keep a car looking nice. His Elise looked like it had just come off the showroom floor, despite the fact that he had done a round trip to Winchester earlier in the day.

He has a cabinet of detailing supplies that would keep any 12 of us happy for a lifetime. :D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
pinmagic said:
I saw Michael's car this weekend -- this is a guy who knows how to keep a car looking nice. His Elise looked like it had just come off the showroom floor, despite the fact that he had done a round trip to Winchester earlier in the day.

He has a cabinet of detailing supplies that would keep any 12 of us happy for a lifetime. :D
Indeed - I saw it on Labor Day.

Of course, the lift in the garage alone is worth a lifetime of envy. ;-)

ed

·
Registered
314 Posts
Michael,

Which company in VA installs the Xpel? Thanks in advance, Max.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If I could be so crass as to ask... how much was the XPel installation? Did you buy the cut film and hire an installer, or did he come with the kit or a sheet roll?

I would like to see more coverage on the side mirrors, so that's good to hear.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm working with Auto Clear Guard to set up a group buy on the Xpel clear bra.

If we have 10 or more, we'll get 50% off.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Johnny B said:

When are you going to start the broup buy thread? From last count we have at least 4 people already.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Johnny B said:

:clap: :clap:

How will the timing work? I imagine most people, like myself, will want to put the protection on Right Away when taking delivery. With deliveries spread out over the next year or so, how do we make it worth the installer's trouble?

Or is the group buy just for the material kit?

What's 50% off come to in $?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm interested in the group buy. And close enough to get a first-hand view of Yelotus' clearbra. ...if I ever stay at home for a weekend. Yelotus- maybe October sometime?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow...thanks for the compliments>>

Xpel install was done by Protective Film Technologies. The Xpel system is a custom 'cut' on a roll (3M product) from Xpel...so here is a series of pics showing the process and what is covered...first though it appears that Lotus is now installing a 12 mil clear film on the Elise rear front fender flair...when Neil (pinmagic) came over with his Elise his did not have...I think (and as I remember looking at the first 3 Elise's that came into Criswell) the first shipments that came in did not have this item unless you ordered the Star Shield and now later shipments have it regardless of ordering Star Shield

This is the first step...treat area to be protected and then wet everything and start with the roll containing the patterned 3M material

Then this 'mess' so it appears is where the mastery of the installer comes to play...fitting, positioning, rubbing etc until the install is complete...what an art

Here is the install on the side mirrors...

Kkit includes entire front area, headlights & turn signals (special film for them both), and the entire side mirror assembly...

Cost.. the normal install cost is $1200 retail but we can work out a special rate that would bring it under the Lotus Star Shield cost BUT with with Johnny B working on a group buy already I feel akward stepping in at this point. Anyway, the job was tops, local Northern Va. shop and does follow up visit to your house to correct any concerns..
Michael

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MIchael,
I've seen two cars just recently delivered they come with those pieces you speak of in the trunk, I assume they're put in the trunk at the factory and upon arrival to the US centers, if the buyer opts for starshield these remain unused.

This section on the non starshield cars appears to be expanded from other elises as all the s2s since new have had at least some degree of coverage in that area, tho it looks like it's a bit more protective. I know it's been suggested that the film could be a do it yourself, don't think I'd try it in a million years!

Chris

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Some of the films have less of an orange peel than the 3M product. It's visible but may or may not bother the observer.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Re: Wow...thanks for the compliments>>

YELOTUS said:
Cost.. the normal install cost is $1200 retail but we can work out a special rate that would bring it under the Lotus Star Shield cost
I don't get how this is better than the Lotus supplied StarShield stuff...

The StarShield on my car covers the entire front end, the mirrors, the side sills, the fronts of the rear wheels, and the rear of the car behind the wheels. It covers more for $995 instead of less for $1,200. The only thing missing on the StarShield is the headlight covering, and you can buy a simple to install do-it-yourself "kit" for the front lights for about $50 (woops, more like $70)...

Am I missing something?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I don't get how this is better than the Lotus supplied StarShield stuff... <<<

It's not just what is covered and at what cost. The films themselves vary...the 3M stuff (which Lotus seems to use) has a bit of an orange peel appearance that other films don't have.

And of course the labor itself is key.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tim...not suggesting better or worse but an alternative>>

TimMullen said:

The StarShield on my car covers the entire front end, the mirrors, the side sills, the fronts of the rear wheels, and the rear of the car behind the wheels. It covers more for $995 instead of less for $1,200. The only thing missing on the StarShield is the headlight covering, and you can buy a simple to install do-it-yourself "kit" for the front lights for about $50 (woops, more like $70)...

Am I missing something?
Our Elise arrived without the StarShield and thru very high recommendations I went with the company I am talking about..just sharing info that some might want to consider
M

·
Registered
538 Posts
Re: Re: Wow...thanks for the compliments>>

TimMullen said:
As Stan and others have said, the installation is really key. We did a lot of research to find someone we trusted to do a quality install, and we were able to be present while the work was done. We also had the opportunity to ensure the car was spotless before the film was placed on the car.

Ellen

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's all about installation and how experienced and careful the installer is. The Elise would take a lot of experience to get right!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts