The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the other thread about the 'meager' headlights(reviewers words) that the Elise has.

My current car has Xenon headlights and I absolutely love them. Does the Federal Elise come with these standard or is there an easy update? This seems like a must have.

We will be kicking some kickbutt cars, why not have some kickbutt lighting? :p

The other question is a bit of wishful thinking on my part. Does Lotus offer a European delivery option?

For those who don't know what this is, many European manufacturers offer this.

You fly over to the Porsche plant, pick up your new car. Have a nice little road trip over there, enjoy the sights. Drive back to the Porsche plant, where they then ship your car to the USA.

I would love to do a tour of the English coast, and this would be a fantastic car to do it in!!

BTW: This thread has a smily face because my dealer confirmed to me yesterday that I'm #30 in line! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now the wait starts! Thanks again to all the help I got from the forum. I only had to pay a $199 dealer fee.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Andreas-

Regarding Euro delivery, it is unlikely to happen because, unlike Germany: cars drive on the left side of the road. While you can register a left-hand drive car in the UK, there are many adjusments that need to be made. For example: the lights have to be adjusted because the lights on a left-hand drive car tilt slightly right--this would of course blind opposite traffic when driving on the left side.

So unless lotus can figure a way to temp. register the car w/o all the additional adjustments, it is unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Modern Wedgie said:
Andreas-

Regarding Euro delivery, it is unlikely to happen because, unlike Germany: cars drive on the left side of the road. While you can register a left-hand drive car in the UK, there are many adjusments that need to be made. For example: the lights have to be adjusted because the lights on a left-hand drive car tilt slightly right--this would of course blind opposite traffic when driving on the left side.

So unless lotus can figure a way to temp. register the car w/o all the additional adjustments, it is unlikely to happen.
I don't think this would be that big of an issue. Whenever I go back home to Switzerland I see right hand driver cars on the roads once in a while.

If an exemption is needed i'm sure they could work something out for a short stay.

Imagine have free reign of Europe for two weeks in your new Elise? =)

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Lotus could even arrange a rental Elise and a tour of the factory. I'd fly to the U.K. for something like that, it wouldn't even need to by my exact car. (In fact, it would be better if it was a car with a broken-in engine.)

Hey, why doesn't someone from this forum arrange a "meet" in the UK, with a factory tour and a couple of Elise rentals??

Thomas

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Andreas,
Perhaps down the road a year or two euro delivery will be available, although come to think of it, don't think jag or rover have the program, could be the steering wheel on the wrong side.

The lights are going to be just like the euro 111s, that's part of the rub with the exemption lotus filed, so we could get that light configuration. I'm sure aftermarket you can upgrade the bulbs.

Which review criticized the Elise headlights, was it a review of the S1 or S2?

Chris

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zvezdah1 said:

The lights are going to be just like the euro 111s, that's part of the rub with the exemption lotus filed, so we could get that light configuration. I'm sure aftermarket you can upgrade the bulbs.

Which review criticized the Elise headlights, was it a review of the S1 or S2?

Chris
Chris,
Good point about the aftermarket bulbs. I keep on thinking that the Federal Elise will have different ones. (I'm sure it will eventually). If that is the case I'm sure a European after-market company should have one.

The problem with Xenon is that you do need a computer to control the lights. So it would be nice to have a kit that has been used a few people.

And they knocked the headlights in this <a href="http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1078">old review</a>.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I will switch out my lights for Xenon. There is a great site XenonDepot.com that supplies full kits, including the converters. It's a plug and play system with the real phillips bulbs.

They have group buys and we did a group buy for my MDX.
It runs around $400-500 depending on the bulb.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Andreas said:
The problem with Xenon is that you do need a computer to control the lights. So it would be nice to have a kit that has been used a few people.
When i got a Xenon kit for my Passat there was no computer required- it was drop in (obviously the balast, etc. was part of the unit). All I needed to do was disable my Daytime runing lights by pulling a relay - that's it.

Perhaps if you had a self-leveling system w/ HID highbeams you might need more electronics...

I agree HIDs ARE the way to go.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
jahwerx said:
When i got a Xenon kit for my Passat there was no computer required- it was drop in (obviously the balast, etc. was part of the unit). All I needed to do was disable my Daytime runing lights by pulling a relay - that's it.

Perhaps if you had a self-leveling system w/ HID highbeams you might need more electronics...

I agree HIDs ARE the way to go.
I hope they release a kit for the Elise. (Does it exist now?)

It may be too low of a production run to have a ready made drop in kit tho. Grrr.

Is the light housing for the Elise a standard part shared with other manufacturers? Or is it a custom?

Regular lights won't do the car justice, this would be one of the first thing I would want to replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
smura said:
I will switch out my lights for Xenon. There is a great site XenonDepot.com that supplies full kits, including the converters. It's a plug and play system with the real phillips bulbs.

They have group buys and we did a group buy for my MDX.
It runs around $400-500 depending on the bulb.

I'm in for a group buy.

stahlee

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stahlee said:
I'm in for a group buy.

stahlee
Second!

It seems like a few people would spring for this.

Is there a way we can give LCU a heads up that people want Xenons and offer it as an option?

·
Registered
493 Posts
likely won't get it as an option because with Xenon you not only have to change the bulb but the optics surrounding the bulb to control the beam pattern. One downside to going aftermarket on the bulb and ballast is that the optics of the lamp assembly are not calibrated for xenon and you don't get an optimal beam pattern. This is usually overcome because xenon is such a better light beam that overcomes any optics shortfall.

Our best bet is a group buy from an aftermarket supplier. Once we know what bulb the Elise comes with it should be a simple plug and play, unelss Lotus uses some non-standard bulb fitting, in which case we may need someone to come up with an aftermarket fitting.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
How is the nightvision in a standard S2?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zvezdah1 said:
HI Andreas,
Went over to Elise parts after I posted the above message. They do have HID light upgrade kits for the S2.

Go to: http://www.eliseparts.com/lights.htm

It'll be under the "lighting" section.
Chris
Excellent! Thanks for the info! At least we know it can be done.

The problem is that the kits are VERY VERY pricey.

Maybe we can figure out a group buy or make a cheaper kit over here.

For the 1/2 HID kit they are charging $1,205 USD (711 GBP) and for the full HID kit (highs and lows) $1,876 (1,107 GBP)

This also includes a twin headlight conversion kit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Those prices are for a S1 4-bulb conversion kit, so you are getting a lot of stuff we will not need if we're able to just swap out the standards and add the HID bulbs and balasts.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Lighting and european delivery

I'll definitely be up for upgrading the lighting. I'd like to get my car first and see how it is, but would likely upgrade if it doesn't cost me a gull wing hardtop (if you know what I mean).

As far as european delivery, here's what I know (or at least am allowed to say). Lotus WILL HAVE EUROPEAN DELIVERY FOR THE US ELISE. It is planned for the first year but unlike many other european manufacturers, there are some holes. First, there will not be a discount for purchasing the cars this way and there may be a additional charge. Further, other makes provide insurance for you while you are in europe. Lotus will not. You will have to arrange such coverage with your own carrier. The details are being finalized and should be in place by the time the first cars will be ready for shipment (late april/ early may).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
For example: the lights have to be adjusted because the lights on a left-hand drive car tilt slightly right--this would of course blind opposite traffic when driving on the left side.
People from mainland Europe visiting Britian just use a sticker on the light to avoid blinding. But the Elise does has a switch to set the lighting for either left side or right side driving. I don't know how easy it is to do though (it's in the light unit).

Oh and Xenon light are offered as an option by Lotus (in the Netherlands for a whopping EUR 999 which includes tons of Dutch tax).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts