The Lotus Cars Community banner

Will you autocross your Elise?

• I've never autocrossed before, but I will do/have done my first one with this car.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I've autocrossed before, and I'll continue with the Elise.

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • I've autocrossed before, but I won't be doing any with the Elise.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No autocross for me.

Votes: 9 14.3%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what percentage of US Elise owners will be using their cars to autocross.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,682 Posts
atyclb said:
since auto-Xes around here take place on Sundays, no
You don't drive your car on Sundays? I love to go driving on the weekends.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
You know Crackerbarrel, you could attend an afternoon session!

In some Wal-mart parking lot, after services conclude.

God knows.........you need the practice.

;)

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Good for you. I also find Auto-X to be VERY tiresome!

What's your favorite road in or around Austin?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>> I also find Auto-X to be VERY tiresome!<<<

It's a great way to learn how to drive while exploring the limits safely. You can try out different techniques in a safe manner too. Some folks never get the hang of autocross and never return though. You have to drive quite illegally to be able to do this on the street in an Elise with either suspension package. There are many excellent autocross drivers, many now have an Elise. Maybe there is one in your area - what part of the country are you in?

You can get more seat time if you go to an EVO Auto-X school, where you will likely get about 30-35 runs in a day. Those cost about the same as an open track day. At open track events you can't push quite as hard there in general due to the speeds and other rules / cars. Those tend to be harder on the car as well which may be a concern for some.

Just some ideas.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Agree that Auto-X is a good learning tool for most!

The main thing is that ******** need to keep their cars out of the barditch......when flying down America's highways and byways.

Practicing in a relatively safe parking lot or abandoned airfield makes sense.

Two major concerns is that some are'nt too keen on having to coordinate their free time....an entire Sunday afternoon for instance. The other, and a point I found to be irksome, is that these courses tend to be VERY tight.

Not that much of an issue for lightweights such as a TR-3 or an Elyse, but a real pain for heavier vehicles which typically can't reach their optimal performance envelopes.

Both my 944's ( one turbo ), were classic examples.

Maybe try it once for the hell of it?

;)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Re: Agree that Auto-X is a good learning tool for most!

dickedup said:

Two major concerns is that some are'nt too keen on having to coordinate their free time....an entire Sunday afternoon for instance. The other, and a point I found to be irksome, is that these courses tend to be VERY tight.
Well frankly the only thing else I have to do on sundays is watch F1, and I have TiVo for that. :p Anyway, the tightness of the course depends on your region. If your club happens to have access to a football field parking lot you can do pretty good. Both DC's SCCA and NYC's NASA have some very open courses. I seem to remember NASA out in oakland had a pretty big lot too, but thats been a while.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Agree that Auto-X is a good learning tool for most!

dickedup said:
Two major concerns is that some are'nt too keen on having to coordinate their free time....an entire Sunday afternoon for instance.
Well, you only get out of something what you put into it....

The other, and a point I found to be irksome, is that these courses tend to be VERY tight.
Idunno where you've run, but here in Dallas, I use 3rd gear a lot in my Europa. Our courses are anything but tight.

Not that much of an issue for lightweights such as a TR-3 or an Elyse,
Sounds to me like your autox experience was acquired in the 1970s. There are quite a few current "heavyweights" that do very well in autox, including C4 and C5 Corvettes, GM F-bodies, and certain Porkshe models.

but a real pain for heavier vehicles which typically can't reach their optimal performance envelopes.

Both my 944's ( one turbo ), were classic examples.
Given that 944s and 924Ss ran at the very top of their class in National events in the 1990s (when they were still being manufactured and shortly thereafter), I've gotta call BS on that. A 968 with M030 suspension is still a possible major contender in next year's B Stock.

Maybe try it once for the hell of it?
If that's all you do, you'll have your ass handed to you, and it won't be because of your car.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>The other, and a point I found to be irksome, is that these courses tend to be VERY tight. Not that much of an issue for lightweights such as a TR-3 or an Elyse, but a real pain for heavier vehicles which typically can't reach their optimal performance envelopes.<<<

Sounds like you may have had some trouble in past autocross endeavors!!! It can be pretty humbling. What part of the country are you in? You seem to talk about CA and TX a great deal - is that where you reside?

Somebody on another Elise message board posted a few hundred times about the crushing, debilitating, unforgivable understeer oozzing from the pores of the base Elise. A tight autocross would make a STUPENDOUS place to learn how to deal with that very effectively. Our last local autocross up here was on a very tight course - but the base suspended Elise was able to set RAW and PAX fastest times of the Day against trailered cars on slicks. Corner entry is the key. And some of the faster cars that day were quite large - they knew how to drive.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Amount of time you dedicate and the size of the course depends on your region and the lot size.

For example, here in San Diego... our autocross courses are normally over 1 mile long (sometimes 1.5 miles) and involve higher speeds (3rd gear). No first gear stuff.

Cars like the Z-06 do very well, though top times normally go to formula cars.

Not the best example, 7 megs

And you can show up at 8:00am, register. Run at 9:00am and be heading home at 10:30am (possibly). Or you can attend practice days where you can run all day.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
If i wanted to go fast in a parking lot i would have bought a snowmobile... I just get no satisfaction out of autocross, I would rather go karting.. but thats just me. I will go out on the road courses though! oh yeah!

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
The best experience for me is karting in a parking lot. Nothing beats that rush. It is insane to head straight at a cone at 90mph. :eek:

For me, track lap days get boring after a while.

Now if I am really racing... that is another story.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
That sombody must really be somebody!

:D

From reading that handsome gentleman's posts, his inference was that you could definitely feel the factory induced understeer spooling-up as speeds became greater and greater. Don't believe that he described the condition to that level of colorful adjectives though.

He IS however, one intense driving MOFO.

Good driving skills certainly must apply for optimal performance....there is a point that the physics of a vehicle will not allow you to push her any further.

Just ask the boys at the Minardi F1 team.

Myself, I enjoy a car that you can toss the tail around on a bit. But oversteer scares the lawyers apparently.

Sad.

From what I'm reading Randy, these Aoto-X courses have become much longer than those I tried back in the mid-eighties.

:eek:

What was the name of that kart track you loved so much out in Beaumont, California?

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Auto-X sounds like a completely different animal now RopaBoy!

That would be the mid-eighties amigo. Tried a few events in Austin and San Antonio, was bored, so headed back to Texas World Speedway.

:cool:

The courses today are like little mini-tracks.

Good for you.

:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Auto-X sounds like a completely different animal now RopaBoy!

dickedup said:
That would be the mid-eighties amigo. Tried a few events in Austin and San Antonio, was bored,
So, lemme get this straight: you were beating everyone so badly it got boring? Dang, I can tell you're good. Why don't you come to a Texas Region SCCA autocross next season and give us a demonstration?
:clap:

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Re: That sombody must really be somebody!

dickedup said:

From what I'm reading Randy, these Aoto-X courses have become much longer than those I tried back in the mid-eighties.

:eek:

What was the name of that kart track you loved so much out in Beaumont, California?
Moran Raceway. The Full Wood Kingdom.

I just love that name. :)

9 megs of shifter kart balls out

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Loosen your bullets RopaBoy.......and read again!

Back when you were still in Pampers, I attended a few runs in the Central Texas area. At that time they did'nt do much for me.

And to answer your question, yes......I laid some serious scuyun on the competition with my Lotus 7.

You Auto-X boys typically act like a bunch of crotchety ol' hens?

;)

I'm sure your an ace at tearing up the parking lots.

Where and when are the events held in Dallas?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts