The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had tinted windows on several cars and generally like the look. However for some reason I just can’t see the Elise looking good with tinted windows. I could be wrong, but I don’t think tinting looks good on this car. What do you think? I’ve never seen an Elise with tinted windows, perhaps someone can Photoshop one?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I like the tinting in regards to sun. It is also good for the shy ones among us, or perhaps even the less secure. And it can look good from the outside, specially if it wraps around well.

But the major downside for a dark enough tint for me is reduced visibility at night. I had dark tint on my Mercedes and disliked it at night. Eventually I was motivated to remove it (thanks to a ticket, dark tint on front side windows is illegal in California).

So, no.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I have 13% on all but the windshield now, but I don't think I'll tint the Elise windows. I think sometimes it will be nice to have the top off and the windows up and it would'nt look right IMO. If I planned on having the hard top on all the time I'd do it.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
No tint for me. There's just not enough glass there to make a difference anyway.

I expect the top and windows will be down most of the time here anyway.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
my sunglasses are small and i find the tint quite effective. i have entertained the idea of tint on my spyder for years and have not done it. i just might get a tint on the elise though

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Ground Loop said:
There's just not enough glass there to make a difference anyway.
I don't know if I agree with that. My 914 and my old MR2 were noticeably cooler after tinting. I'll likely tint mine just to keep the leather from scalding the backs of my legs when I jump in the car after it's been sitting in the sun for more than 5 minutes.

The + side of small amounts of glass is that the tint is usually cheaper. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nope, I'm with _JD_ on this one, would look really weird having tinted windows without the hard top.soft top on.

I live in LA and the top will NEVER be up...except maybe in Jan/Feb for the two weeks of rain.

Some of my other cars have/had tint, but only those that were not convertible/targa's.

If I planned to have the hard top on all the time...or it was an Exige I definitely would tint the windows.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
and oh, no rear window defrost for them to muck up on install. hope that is not too minimalist for some out there

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
LotusLust said:
and oh, no rear window defrost for them to muck up on install. hope that is not too minimalist for some out there
No rear defroster???? Jeez...next you'll be telling me there's no cupholders. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
For parking shade, the 'shower cap' seems like a nice way to go. Keeps dust and leaves and snocones out too.

Anyone know if the shower caps are available at the dealers? Cost?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Ground Loop said:
For parking shade, the 'shower cap' seems like a nice way to go. Keeps dust and leaves and snocones out too.

Anyone know if the shower caps are available at the dealers? Cost?
I think the Sector111 showercaps look like they will work great.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
probably not, too little glass to see out in the first place.

maybe a light tint once i get used to driving the elise.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'll probably do it, go with a 5%. When the top is off the windows will be down anyways. And at night it's warm enough to ride with the top off and windows down also.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
tint. ghetto. bling-bling. god, no.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Bingo.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Open cars are all about being seen. Tinting kind of defeats the purpose of the car. The side windows are small, so if blocking out the sun is your goal, it's not going to make much of a difference, since most of the light probably comes through the big windsheild.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Clear or near clear front winshield tint really cuts down the heat, as well as protects your dash. Unfortunately, may not be legal where you live. Also, you need a very VERY good place to put it on for you.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I've been using the shower cap from Sector 111 at work. Takes about 30 seconds to put on/take off. Very simple system that works well for protecting the interior from uv.
Chris

·
Registered
687 Posts
I won't get tinted windows. I don't like the decreased visibility at night, and I want to give the Valentine One the best chance possible of finding radar traps for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts