The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that some people said that they are unhappy that they cars might be coming later since they are missing out on good driving weather.

I am fortunate enough that the low temperature around me last winter was only 43 degrees, and that was only for a few hours in the morning. Prior to that I lived in NJ and from Nov to April it was always too cold for me.

Are there any months you absolutley will not be driving your car and just be keeping it stored? Or are you planning on using it all year round? Is anyone in Minnesota bold enough to drive at 20 below, or anyone in the Death Valley Area willing to drive in the summer when its 120 degrees?

Please post your response and list what state you are in

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mine will live in the garage for winters, off insurance and under a cover. I have no need to drive it on sanded, salted cold roads. If it behaves well in colder temps I will probably keep it on the road as late as Christmas or so, but the Miata it replaces gives up around Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Year round - including the insane heat/humidity of August in Texas.

"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas"
General Phil Sheridan
I drove an X1/9 w/o A/C for 4 years. Summer and Winter, including Dallas ice storms. If you've ever seen water fall as rain and freeze as solid sheets of ice, you'll understand how much traction snow gives. Nice thing about mid engines, they get great traction on low friction surfaces....

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
no hibernating, no way. I probably won't drive on rainy days though. Hardly any of those in So Cal. :clap:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I ride my GSXR-1000 all year round so driving the Elise in the winter is not even an issue.

Heater, radio, roof, what more do you want? It will seem like a luxury to me in the winter.

Besides, NJ winters are a joke. I'm lucky if I can take my kid sleding more than 2 or 3 times a winter.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Here in AZ, 330+ days of sun a year, almost never freezes, snow on roads is a reported event. Plan to drive mine 12/12.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What no poll???? Guess you'll have to tally em' up yourself, I expect a full analysis :D

Only rarely will my elise sit in the garage, gotta be some major snow on the ground or some mad rain. Being in MD, thats about 2 weeks a year. Then I'll take the utility van to work. Ugh.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've shared this picture here before, but it does indicate why my Elise will hibernate in my new garage.

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
San Diego.

Winter?

·
Registered
592 Posts
My car will hibernate in CT. I'll drive with the top off when its chilly (40's-50's), don't care about rain, but won't subject it to salt. That means I should be able to drive unitl November or December (and hopefully I'll have my car will before then)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I have winter here for sure, but will drive mine year-round except for snow days, which aren't that common in eastern PA. I have the hardtop for 6 months (when I get to practice my gymnastic moves to get in/out).

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Winter here can be a mixed bag of tricks. One year ( 11 years ago) we had 22inches of snow in 24 hours. Most years though its just cold and we have snow every so often and usually only 4 or 5 inches at a time. Alas the Elise will probably have to be left in the garage the better part of late december and January due to rainy wet and cold but we do often have sunny cold days that I could possibly drive.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
People who live up north and are considering this should put together an Elise timeshare program with people down south. :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
Year round - including the insane heat/humidity of August in Texas.

I drove an X1/9 w/o A/C for 4 years. Summer and Winter, including Dallas ice storms. If you've ever seen water fall as rain and freeze as solid sheets of ice, you'll understand how much traction snow gives. Nice thing about mid engines, they get great traction on low friction surfaces....

i know your pain. i did the same for 4 years in gainesville FL and it made me vow to never again in my life have a car sans A/C.

lumn8r, our thermometers don't even show numbers below about -10 down here in the south

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Jay,

Maybe we can work out a deal with CIGNA to drive cars around the Bloomfield campus to keep it exercised during those long winter months!!:D If not, then it will spend the winter holidays vacationing with my Rotax in the creature comforts of my garage!! :p

·
Registered
825 Posts
LotusLust said:
i know your pain. i did the same for 4 years in gainesville FL and it made me vow to never again in my life have a car sans A/C.
Yeah, I made that vow too. And yet, the A/C went out on my truck this Spring and I have yet to fix it. Every time I go to get the parts, I decide I'd rather have a V1 for the Elise instead...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Vangman said:
Jay, If not, then it will spend the winter holidays vacationing with my Rotax in the creature comforts of my garage!! :p
Do you have a big garage :D

I don't have a great solution for my car yet. Right now the Lotus goes in the garage with the wife's car and the M3 is going to have to sit outside :( Once I get my car, I will likely look around for some garage space.

The CT area folks will have to get together. Mine is ordered at HRM and I was told "this summer", but we will see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts