The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Poor Ralph,

I love Ferrari and I think that Michael is the best driver out there not just on the track or during the race but off the track and on giving tremendous feedback to his team.

With the ongoing rumors, it doesn't surprise me since it seems that the rest of the teams are just on a constant blame game.

Williams has new drivers next season with Montoya going to McLaren and Raph to Toyota.

Renault & BAR, the only other consistent teams.

McLaren will probably keep Raikonen, but who knows, with only 4 points for him and Coultard, they might have new drivers too.

Toyota, probably replacing both drivers, Again.

I get the feeling that is the Ferrari team dynamics that are imposible to beat, it's not just the driver, but the Ferrari drivers are integral to the team.

Anyway, I do want them to win, but it's like Ferrari is driving the elise while the rest are driving s2000's

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Renault finds another 20-30 horses somewhere they'll have a great car.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The Canadian GP was one of the best yet (at least the best 1st half that i saw). Too bad it ended up with the Ferrari parade - again.

I agree that MS is the best driver out there. I just wish that it wasn't also with one of the best cars out there. F1 is boring anymore but it's not really MS's / Ferrari's fault for being good. You play to win. If they didn't it would be worse.

I'm a huge JPM fan. I love the Williams car. Too bad they can't find that elusive "it" to win more races. JPM has a lot of character and drives like a maniac. Fun to watch even if there tends to be some fallout.

And EVERY F1 team cheats. It's matter of who gets caught. That's part of the F1 game.

Where is Renault come from???? Did they wake up one morning and say "HEY! Let's turn F1 on it's ear this season!!" They are having a stellar year so far, hope they keep it up.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Williams has been very mum.

Toyota claims they were within generally accepted fabrication tolerances.

All this leads to the fact they were too big. Albeit, not enough to provide any sort of performance advantage. But, too big nontheless per the rules.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Lotus Fury said:

And EVERY F1 team cheats. It's matter of who gets caught. That's part of the F1 game.
Altho it talks mostly about NASCAR, check out the book "Cheating", lots of amusing stuff, esp the things Smokey Yunick thought up. I'm of the opinion its all part of the game, and if you can get it past tech thats all that matters. :)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Evl said:
Altho it talks mostly about NASCAR, check out the book "Cheating", lots of amusing stuff, esp the things Smokey Yunick thought up. I'm of the opinion its all part of the game, and if you can get it past tech thats all that matters. :)
Is he the one that put the gas in the roll cage?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
_JD_ said:
Is he the one that put the gas in the roll cage?
Not sure, but he's why they now stipulate the length and diameter of the fuel hose. He showed up at a race with a fuel hose that could hold a gallon or 2, which at the time was actually within the rules. They weren't amused. :)

He also had a wind driven alternator, which I thought was pretty slick.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
huggy,
At last something we can agree on . Motogp is just about the most exciting racing out there, 180+ mph on a bik with 200 odd hp weighing about 300 pounts. now that's what I call racing. You have to have huevos the size of basketball's to be a motogp rider.

Chris

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Chapman used to say, "The race begins when the rule book is published." :bow:

Wonderful story of Chapman & his Mk3... The old flat head Ford had a siamese intake port, that mated the intake of 2 & 3 together. This would rob one of a full charge and of course then that cylinder would run off.

Chapman devised an intake manifold that had a "finger" plate that extended into the head and "unsiamesed" the port. He got a bunch HP out of this and would blow by his competitors. The next year the rule book had a revision that clearly outlawed "desiamesing" the 2-3 intake port.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Evl said:
fuel hose that could hold a gallon or 2, which at the time was actually within the rules. They weren't amused.
I think that was after someone (and it was probably Smoky) had routed the fuel from the fuel tank to the engine by way of large diameter roll bar and frame tubes. The tubing held about as much gas as the tank did...

Hmmm... How come that car goes twice as far on a "tank" of gas as all the other cars...:huh:

Colin Chapman also "stretched" the rule book on many occasions. The intake port mentioned by Kiyoshi, the F1 car with the entire underbody shaped as an air foil (can't remember the number of that one). The "dual suspension" car. The Lotus Turbine Indy car, etc...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You mean:

"I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground and an extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you, see. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna make you light and shape you like a bullet. You're gonna be perfect."

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
TimMullen said:
Colin Chapman also "stretched" the rule book on many occasions. The intake port mentioned by Kiyoshi, the F1 car with the entire underbody shaped as an air foil (can't remember the number of that one). The "dual suspension" car. The Lotus Turbine Indy car, etc...

Tim Mullen
Tim, I've been meaning to say that's it is a pleasure having on this forum. I've seen your name beaten around too many years. I don't recall, but we might have met at a LOG...

Anyway...
The underbody venturi car was the Type 78, which in the following year became the 79 and took Andretti to his World Championship.

The duel chassis car was the 88 and the Indy turbine car was the 56. The 56 was also 4WD. Lotus later sub a Cosworth DFV, the 56B, and tested it as a F1 car. Joe Leonard drove the 56 at Indy and almost won (fuel pump bearing failure 2 laps from the finish). Joe lives about 20 miles from me. I've also located the 56 that Joe drove that year. It would nice to get the driver & car back together for a reunion.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
khamai said:
Tim, I've been meaning to say that's it is a pleasure having on this forum. I've seen your name beaten around too many years. I don't recall, but we might have met at a LOG...
Yep. LOG 18 in Atlanta. You beat the heck out of me (and everyone else) at the go-cart track...:D

Autocross too. And you were driving a rented Pontiac if I remember correctly...:bow: That's me at the LOG 18 autocross in the picture to the left...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
TimMullen said:
Yep. LOG 18 in Atlanta. You beat the heck out of me (and everyone else) at the go-cart track...:D
many dead brain cells later he vaguely remembers... :D Someone came with us with their son to the kart thing, was that you? I remember that Pontiac Grand-Piece-O'-Sh*t was crap. Now the Elise on the other hand is the polar opposite. I still get a grin looking at the photos from the WCLM AutoX. Hazardous duty making me take people for rides in the Elise!!!

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
khamai said:
Someone came with us with their son to the kart thing, was that you? I remember that Pontiac Grand-Piece-O'-Sh*t was crap.
Yep, that was me. My daughter and wife was with us too...

It sure was fun watching that Pontiac Grand-Piece-O'-Sh*t squealing around the track... I seem to remember you taking people for "demo" rides around the course too. It actually got better times with four people on board if I remember right (but a lot of my brain cells have died along the way too)...

Tim Mullen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts