The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

What kind of lap times are you guys turning on Willow Springs? I'm interested in the Exige Cup 240, the Exige S and the Elise.

Thanks
Roy

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
my old n.a. elise with nitrons and slicks 130.04 Craig Stanton driving. My S with 048s/nitrons and Craig 132. i've seen a few stock out of the box S's go 135 (John Kean)..Me 139 elise 138 S and it took me a long time to match my elise times in the S seems i had to work a lot harder..anything in the low 140s your not screwing around. My best in my old GT2 was 139 and i dont think i broke 140 in my gt3.carl

·
Registered
245 Posts
That video of Craig Stanton running 1:27 at Big Willow is the best in-car video I have ever seen. The guy can drive. Lap after lap fast and consistent. I learned something, especially from his line in turn 4.

BTW, I run 1:34 in my Evo, and 1:41 in my Miata.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
my first time ever at willow springs was this past weekend.
I was running in the Swift DB-1 Formula Ford on American Racer tires(hard compound slicks that are the spec tire for our club)
best time was a 130.2
I know i can shave another second or 2 off that with some more track time out there and more practice with turn 9.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
my old n.a. elise with nitrons and slicks 130.04 Craig Stanton driving. My S with 048s/nitrons and Craig 132. i've seen a few stock out of the box S's go 135 (John Kean)..Me 139 elise 138 S and it took me a long time to match my elise times in the S seems i had to work a lot harder..anything in the low 140s your not screwing around. My best in my old GT2 was 139 and i dont think i broke 140 in my gt3.carl
Isn't it interesting -- 140 more RWP and less than 3 seconds faster around Big Willow with the same driver (n/a Elise vs Ronin monster)....I guess that should put to rest that more HP is the be all, end all solution to fast track times. ;) And, before someone raises the tire issue...Carl's Elise had heat-cycled endurance (read hardest compound) slicks. We've recently established that these slicks (when new) are less sticky than R compound Hoosiers, for whatever that is worth. :shift:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Yeah, really, thats great, but you'll still be thirty seconds slower than Mario Andretti.
in an F1 car on full slicks he and Mansel did an unofficial 106.5

there was a guy out there this weekend who did an official 107.XX in his tyrell 022 the week or 2 before. he was racing with us in a formula ford this weekend. he qualified .6 ahead of me, as I said, it was my first time ever at this track.
I think we will all be slower than Mario(in any car), and rightfully so, but especially in a formula ford compared to an F1 car, but you already knew that.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Check out John Wurth's numbers on the www.speedventures.com site under event results. There are lots of times for every track in So Cal and beyond. John tends to be top rank with his NA Exige.

My personal best in my NA Elise with R compounds at SOW CW is 1:28:53 and I think I've seen 1:26xx from better drivers in NA cars. I think 1:01 on HTM CW is what John did last time I was there and that was 2nd or 3rd fastest lap that session behind Terry's ZO6 and a very high pressure STi.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best lap

my best lap was 1:19.8 with my Radical...I was hoping to run my Stohr there but my racing is on hold at the moment.

I have some in-car from running 1:23-1:24 back a couple of years ago with the stock 1300 I had back then...that motor was relatively underpowered, the 1400 I ended up with was much better (and that was a 1:19 car). The tires were totally going off in 116 degrees, this was the last time I used Hoosiers on that car.

Race in 3 parts here

YouTube - Willow Springs Radical Cup race 1 8/2007

YouTube - Willow Springs Radical Cup race 1 part, near spin 2 8/2007

YouTube - Radical Prosport vs. SR8 @ Willow Springs 8/2007

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Check out John Wurth's numbers on the Speed Ventures - Track Events for Everyone! site under event results. There are lots of times for every track in So Cal and beyond. John tends to be top rank with his NA Exige.

My personal best in my NA Elise with R compounds at SOW CW is 1:28:53 and I think I've seen 1:26xx from better drivers in NA cars. I think 1:01 on HTM CW is what John did last time I was there and that was 2nd or 3rd fastest lap that session behind Terry's ZO6 and a very high pressure STi.
Glen,
I did a 1:36.661 my first time at WSIR with your car when manly beat me with a 1:36.574....YES, I should have removed the cool suit cooler before the race!
you will have to beat that in two weeks. You have been flying in that thing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You know I'll give it my best shot in the Green Machine, Robb. I've only drive WSIR once in an Elise - my old street car with +150 lbs, -10hp and R888s on a 106F day and I recorded 1:38.01. I feel pretty confident I can shave 3-4 seconds off that time in the Green Machine if not on R888s then the A6s, especially with the cooler temps. It should be a picture perfect track day next week. I am SOOOO looking forward to it.

At SOW I clocked a 1:26.47 last year on R888s. This year I did a 1:27.9 on the sorta-wet, cold track on R888s. I'd put 1:24 within grasp w/ R6s on a nice day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts