The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it damage anything to the crash structure if I attach a winch to the front tow hook and gently and slowly load and unload my Lotus on a trailer? I'm talking about really slow without sudden tugging.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Will it damage anything to the crash structure if I attach a winch to the front tow hook and gently and slowly load and unload my Lotus on a trailer? I'm talking about really slow without sudden tugging.
it shouldn't... a friend of mine had his loaded onto a flatbed by the tow hook this summer and it loaded/unloaded just fine w/o any damage

·
Registered
644 Posts
Good question. I used to winch my car onto my trailer using the front tow hook but it always made me nervous. The attachment points for the front hook looks questionable. Now I just drive it on.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ideally when towing, the wheels should be strapped down and the suspension allowed to move. That is how I tow my Elise and M100 and any other ride that needs towing. I would not trust the down force stress to the front end; the front two hook is intended for lateral pulling.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I've loaded and unloaded both my Exige and 2-Eleven this way (although I normally drive it into and out of the trailer). This is the actual intended purpose of the tow hook, so as long as you're doing it properly, there should be no problems. Make sure the tow hook is fully threaded into the crash structure and tight.

But as stated above, the tow hook is not intended for tying down the vehicle during transport.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've loaded and unloaded both my Exige and 2-Eleven this way (although I normally drive it into and out of the trailer). This is the actual intended purpose of the tow hook, so as long as you're doing it properly, there should be no problems. Make sure the tow hook is fully threaded into the crash structure and tight.

But as stated above, the tow hook is not intended for tying down the vehicle during transport.
Great. Do use cables or straps for winching?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ideally when towing, the wheels should be strapped down and the suspension allowed to move. That is how I tow my Elise and M100 and any other ride that needs towing. I would not trust the down force stress to the front end; the front two hook is intended for lateral pulling.
Good point and I agree, but I was referring to the use of tow hook for loading and unloading only.

·
Premium Member
11,570 Posts
Should a tow hook be used to tow? Umm yep.
rotfl

Yes, but: These are British cars...should the a/c cool the car? Should the older British (non-Lotus) cars' heaters heat? see the trend?....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Should bears bear? Should ducks duck? Should bees be? Had a flat on my car this weekend (rear tire pretty much destroyed). Flat bed didn't have any problem pulling it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts