The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how much wind you guys get in your face when you are driving with the top off? or do you sit low enough that you dont get any at all, it goes over your head?

i am 6'2", 240, and just wondering. and do they make anything that could be attached that would help keep the wind off of you?

Mike

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
6' and wind just hits my hair when I get over 60mph, been up to about 120 with the top off and at that speed you get a kind of rotating whirl wind in the cabin, not too crazy but is loud ! Under 60 it is not too noticeable for me. Guess you could clamp an aftermarket visor to the top of the windscreen or wear a hat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't get much wind, but I am about 5 foot 9. I do get the whirlwind at higher speeds, or if it is windy, but typically don't have issues on the freeway.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Keep the windows up at higher speeds and its fine.

Just gotta watchout for those pesky rocks hitting your forehead. Every now and then one will leave a mark. I don't drive my elise at night much so I usually have sunglasses on which protects the eyes. It's usually the top part of my head that gets hit, but I have had one hit my sunglasses before

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
flip the sun visors up and they'll deflect the wind a bit

..oh wait, that's in my MGB :D

I'm short, and bald, so wind has never been a problem with the top off.
..getting sunburn is another factor for me to worry about tho.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am also about 6-2 and weigh 235. I did the Sector 111 Seat Lowering Kit which makes the seat non adjustable but makes me lower in the car. Check it out it may be the answer for you also.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Yes; the roof.

xtn
:) We need a little smiley whacking a snare drum!

Sunglasses keep the wind out of the only important area, your eyes. Yeah, you'll feel the wind at 60mph or above with the top off or on-this car isn't exactly hermetically sealed.

At 100mph+ with the top off, the wind swirls back in the cabin from the rear and pushes your head forward.

But that's fun.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
just wondering how much wind you guys get in your face when you are driving with the top off? or do you sit low enough that you dont get any at all, it goes over your head?

i am 6'2", 240, and just wondering. and do they make anything that could be attached that would help keep the wind off of you?

Mike
:huh: wind in the hair - isn't that the point of a convertible?

But if you need to keep your hair in place you have two options - keep it short (like me except that nature has imposed that condition :() or put the top on :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Keep the windows up at higher speeds and its fine.
++

...i still have the top of my hair touselled at freeway speeds and higher, and any papers in the passenger seat are apt to flutter about, but i guess i'm short enough that my eyes, face, and forehead have never been bothered by wind...i wear a driving cap when the wind or sun prove bothersome - perhaps a nice pair of aviator goggles are in order?..

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am 6'3", and I don't think I get any wind in my face, but the sun does bother (BLIND) me, so I have to wear a hat or visor and sunglasses.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I HAVE to see this hair that can't be mussed by the wind! Pics or Ban!

Do you make your living posing for the cover of romance novels or fake butter commercials?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:huh: wind in the hair - isn't that the point of a convertible?

But if you need to keep your hair in place you have two options - keep it short (like me except that nature has imposed that condition :() or put the top on :)
its not really the wind, actually. a couple of years ago i rode in a jeep with no top, and got bugs in my face, mouth, hair, and on my clothes. i said no more of this crap. and its worse at night during the warm weather here in southern indiana.

Mike

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...at 5'-8", this is about as strong as the wind ever gets for me at high speeds...even if all five additional inches were in your torso (which would be freakish proportions) that'd still only put your eyes at my hairline, and i don't get any significant airflow there - just a bernoulli effect at the back crown of my scalp...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
no air around my head.....nature abhors a vacuum....rotfl
the windows-up routine does it for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i'm 6'1" and the wind barely hits my head when i'm driving. the only thing is after driving for a hour or two i get this weird feeling on top of my head when i stop, from my hair blowing around

·
Registered
744 Posts
Last time I drove with the top off, the top of my head becomes numb.. never again will i do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts