The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side window won't go up now in my 05 elise. It has been slow going up for the past few months and now it won't go up at all. I took off the door panel and checked the switch . The window is in the track, the switch is O.K. and those track screws are still tight. What am I missing?

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Not sure, but mine makes a POP sound about 1/2 the time when I put it down. Did yours ever do that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Txdude - My passenger window did exactly what yours is doing. I fixed it by spraying some industrial garage door lube (similar to WD-40, but better) into the areas where the window motor cable was exposed. As soon as I did that, the pop or crackle noise stopped, and the window rolls down faster and smoother than my drivers side does. Give it a shot. I did this over a year ago, so I can't honestly remember details, but there should be a perfect spot to spray that's easy to reach with the door panel cover off. Spray the crap out of it while rolling the window up and down. Then use Stoners Invisible Glass Cleaner to get the over spray off. :)

As to the original poster - you might of had the same issue, and now the cable is bound up. Or maybe your motor went bad?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It did turn out to be the switch, I borrowed the passenger switch and the problem was fixed. I was told by Lotus water sometimes gets to these switches and they can short out. After taking a look at the way the mech works, I sure would hate to change the motor. I took the prob switch apart and looked under a microscope, and found out it was a contact problem not a short. After I cleaned the inner contacts on the inside of the switch, it was fixed. From what I can tell this is a fabrication issue and not a "short" or abuse problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts