The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My window rattle is back after a year of quietness. Last year I found that the plastic clips that ride on the window rails eventually dig into the rail and loosen the fit of the window. This causes the rattle.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/notorious-window-rattle-122170/

I can come up with a permanent fix, but I need some help. Does anyone have a spare clip from the window that they can send me? My plan is to make a teflon donut that snaps between the clip and the rail. It will be held in place by the raised dimple in the clip and will significantly increase the contact surface area between the guide and rail and should be good for the life of the car, like every other car made :\...

I'll build a few to test and then I can have more made for the general community.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Good luck. Mine (a manual crank) has the same recurring issue. Let us know if you find success and please document with photos.

Thanks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I just noticed my door rattle is linked to the AC. First hot day I had it come back, so I discovered turning off the AC made it go away.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Good luck. Mine (a manual crank) has the same recurring issue. Let us know if you find success and please document with photos.

Thanks.
I also have similar window noises as well, but only during certain levels where the windows rests after being rolled down

the nice thing is that having manual windows lets you control a bit more precise window location when rolling down, so at least the rattles can be temporarily quieted.

the rattles/buzzing noises from other interoir parts are the ones that bother me the most though... particularly the plastic paneling around the seatbelts/rollbar make the most noise in my elise to the point where I'm contemplating removing the entire back speaker panel & roll bar panel permanently

·
Less is Better
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have similar window noises as well, but only during certain levels where the windows rests after being rolled down

the nice thing is that having manual windows lets you control a bit more precise window location when rolling down, so at least the rattles can be temporarily quieted.

the rattles/buzzing noises from other interoir parts are the ones that bother me the most though... particularly the plastic paneling around the seatbelts/rollbar make the most noise in my elise to the point where I'm contemplating removing the entire back speaker panel & roll bar panel permanently
The guides for the window have a raised point that rides in the rail. Eventually the point wears through the coating on the rail and gets loose and rattles. When you move the window, the guide sits on a new, unworn spot on the rail and will eventually wear through that spot as well.

I found there is a lot of rubbing where the body meets the rear bulkhead panel. Significant amounts of felt can fix the squeaking.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I found there is a lot of rubbing where the body meets the rear bulkhead panel. Significant amounts of felt can fix the squeaking.
yeah i've done a little padding around the bulkhead in places that are easily accessible, but i think i need to set aside a time to remove the seats & go over it completely :sheep:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts