The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have some experience with the S2, how bad is the rattling from the roll down windows?

I really do not want the touring pack for any reason other than people say the rolling windows make a lot of noise. Does anyone know if lotus plans to fix this for the Fed car? Is it really bad?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
607 Posts
offroadr35 said:
For those of you that have some experience with the S2, how bad is the rattling from the roll down windows?

I really do not want the touring pack for any reason other than people say the rolling windows make a lot of noise. Does anyone know if lotus plans to fix this for the Fed car? Is it really bad?

Thanks,
Steve
Per Knute in this thread : "...I asked Nick Adams about this at the LA show. (Whether the electric windows were less prone to rattle) He laughed. Turns out, the original problem didn't really have anything to DO with the windows; it was a manufacturing tolerance issue with the striker pin on the door latch. If the pin was undersized, as some were on the earlier cars, then the door could rattle a bit even if fully latched. If the windows were tightly shut, this braced the door and prevented the rattling- the rattling wasn't actually the window, but the door on the striker pin. This was solved by improving the manufacturing tolerances to prevent undersized pins, and a number of pins on the earlier cars were upgraded during regular maintenance even in cases where the owner had not yet reported a problem.

In short, the window rattling issue to which you refer shouldn't come into play on the federal Elise regardless of whether one orders manual crank or electric windows, and it's not entirely clear to me whether this issue ever affected the S2 Elise- I have the impression it was an S1 thing."

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Re: Re: Window rattling question

Prolene said:
...I have the impression it was an S1 thing."
Interesting. I can only say it was also an S2 thing as the car I test drove had a very bad thunk over bumps.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
excesss said:
Its not the windows it most likely the doors, rattles are a common issue its something you get used to.
please, this is a very specific question aimed to get a better idea about a specific problem that has been discussed many times. I respectfully ask that if you do not know the answer or at least some information that could help, please do not respond to this thread.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
offroadr35

It's probably a wrattling wrench that was accidentally left in a door.

Or it was a Monday car.

Or a Friday late afternoon car and they were in a hurry to get to the pub after work.

- coulda happened.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I did a side by side comparison of an S2 and one of the fed test cars (with electric windows). The S2 did rattle noticeably, it's possible it could just be the mechanism but I DID notice that the S2 window was not as rigidly in place as the US test car, ie the s2 seemed to have more movement of the windscreen in the rails.

That's as specific as I can get I'm afraid!

Chris;)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The door rattles on the S2 are almost always the lock banging on the striker pin.

My guess is that the reason why the fed-Elise (and probably the 111R) don't show this as much is that these seem to have additional rubbe seals on the doors, so they probably shut much 'tighter' and keep the lock under load/stress, so it can't rattle like on the earlier cars (combined with the slightly larger diameter pins fitted these days).

The current S2's and S1's only have a rubber seal on the car body itself, while the pictures of the fed-Elise also show rubber seals attached to the front (and lower?) edge of the door itself. So in total these have 2 seals.

This probably also explains why the doors shut much more with a 'thud' instead of a 'crash' on the fed-Elise and 111R compared to the older cars.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The window mechanism on my S2 111S rattles, badly! It's not the striker pin because I can shake the door and make it rattle. I've found it's the brackets that hold the glass in place but I'm just too damn lazy to get it sorted out. Afterall, with the roof of and the music blaring, you really don't notice it. I hope people do realize that with the roof off, you can't hear anything at all over 70mph. And I mean nothing, because the wind buffeting noise around the head is a nightmare. Long journey, keep the roof on.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Row of bolts at the top, one plastic plug at the front and some velcro at the bottom keep the panel in place on the S2.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are 3 fixes for window rattle ;

1) Don't have is wound all the way down, half a turn from the bottom will ensure the rubber seal holds the glass in place and stops most rattling.

2) Get your dealer to contact Motorway Sports cars (a UK Dealer) who has there own "fix" for rattling windows ;

http://www.motorway-sports-cars.co.uk/

They may be willing to share their knowledge

3) Just live with it, these aren't perfect cars :D

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
cerven said:
offroadr35

It's probably a wrattling wrench that was accidentally left in a door.

Or it was a Monday car.

Or a Friday late afternoon car and they were in a hurry to get to the pub after work.

- coulda happened.
I remember a story that concerned a man's purchase of his life-long dream Cadillac.
The car ran well, with the exception being a clunking noise that came and went regularly. After many try's, no one was able to find the origin of the noise and years went by. Then, after a door was crushed in an accident, the man repairing the door noticed something odd. It was a note attached
to a large metal-nut that read, "I hope you had a tough time finding this you rich SOB!" - ridgeman

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
LOL..

Funny, because as soon as I saw that post, I thought... yeah right. Snopes! And then I got distracted by life or something...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That particular story might not be true, but stuff does get left inside cars during assembly, although not always intentionally. A wrench was found behind a panel in the Apollo 1 cockpit when they disassembled it after the fire. Now that's a hand-built high performance vehicle that costs a heck of a lot more than a Cadillac, or even a Lotus!

The snopes link does confirm that there is at least one real case of stuff being left in a car as a prank, just not the nut with the note.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts