The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spring to-do list includes the relay upgrade, so for those who've done it already, I've got a question. I'm wondering whether I should use relay sockets like this... Parts Express ...in each door, or if I should just solder the relays directly into the circuit. My inclination is to use the sockets, but I wonder if it would add too much bulk to fit well behind the door panel. Before I buy the parts, I'd be curious if folks have used the sockets or soldered the relays directly in the circuit, and what you recommend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sockets

I added relays to my 89 Turbo and I used sockets. I used two relays per door, mounted the relay sockets on a small piece of aluminum stock and placed them on the inner door panel with VHB tape. I had lots of room and three years later they are doing just fine.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have done this exact same thing, and used the sockets. I mounted the relays right where there would be door speaker on the lower, forward of each door with screws and nuts. It took four total, I got them on ebay, I think 5 (relays with sockets) for $20 with free shipping. This is a great upgrade, my windows that were slow are now as fast as in my late model cars. Its a great feeling to see it move so fast if you've been messing with the motors, tracks and switches for a while trying to fix them as I was.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is there a wiring diagram available for this mod somewhere?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More good stuff. Thanks again!

I've ordered a set of 5 sockets and relays off ebay for ~$15 bucks. After ordering, though, I looked a little more carefully at the diagram on the relay and realized there's probably no diode in the circuit, so I'll spend another 5 bucks at Radio Shack so I don't fry my window switches (the prevention of which is why I'm doing it in the first place) and I should be good to go for $20 bucks and an hour or two. I'm looking forward to getting this one done.

Thanks again for the good replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts