The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've notice that the windows on my Elise have about a 7-10mm gap between the glass and the weather stripping at the rear of the windows. Is this part of the advanced Lotus ventilation system, or can they be adjusted to seal better?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yup.. The windows are super easy to adjust. There are two nuts holding the window to the lift mech (my car has power windows, btw), one for the front and one for the rear. Pretty straight forward. The front adjustment has a huge amount of play.

Don't loosen or tighten the three locking nuts that hold the lower frame to the lift mech. I found out the hard way that these bolts need to "slide" in the frame... You'll get a popping noise when your rolling up your window.

Hope this helps
Ken

·
Registered
591 Posts
are you talking about the back area of the window? my passenger side sticks out a bit at the backend. i can push it in to close it but need to permanently fix it.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you talking about the back area of the window? my passenger side sticks out a bit at the backend. i can push it in to close it but need to permanently fix it.
Yes, its the backend on mine, but the window alignment in general is pretty poor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are the two screws on the bottom that allow you to adjust how its angled inward or outward of the car. If you pull the door panel right in the middle is an overall mechanical stopfor the window. And I'm just going off the top of my head but I think there are also two adjustment screws to change how its angled forward and back in the frame

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to adjust the passenger side window today, only to find a problem I haven't seen mentioned here: the sheet metal bracket holding the upper rear window guide to the door broke loose from the adhesive holding it to the door. I fixed it using JB Weldstick Putty. I prepped the surface using acetone and a rasp.

Attachments

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, now that the window guides are properly secured. I set to adjusting the windows using the advice in the window rattle thread. Here is the best I could get. The front top of the windows seem nicely positioned. I need to know if this is normal, or if I still have work to do:

Attachments

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
No, not "normal". Mine sit "flush" all around. It looks to me like yours are going up too high for the hard top. The soft top is a slightly different adjustment sometimes.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
those are some large gaps.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Your window is going up too high, and it's riding up onto the seal, instead of nestling in under the ridge. That is part of what's causing the outward gapping. Adjust that part first, using the window stop adjustment. Once you have the right height (and yes, on my Elise, the hard top and soft top were completely different on the passenger side, but others have said their tops fit the same, so ymmv), you can then adjust the inward/outward tilt, at the front and/or the back, to get a nice snug fit. This is a Lotus, so it will never be perfect, but it can be a lot better than the photos. Be careful adjusting the lower screws; some have said that screwing them in too far causes them to deform the outer door skin. Also, remember that adjusting one end does cause the other end to also change, e.g., if you want the back end to move in, you can either or both unscrew the back end and/or screw in the front end to push it out, and this will also cause the back end to move in, which may or may not be a desired effect.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your window is going up too high, and it's riding up onto the seal, instead of nestling in under the ridge.
Thanks, that was the key. I extended the stops on both sides and tilted the windows a bit forward and they actually seal now. I wasn't expecting MB/Lexus levels of weather protection but those gaps were clearly not spec. I haven't tried the soft top yet, it will be interesting to see if it is off much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts