The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at all the pics on here, I don't see many Elise/Exige's with the windows tinted. Is there a reason for that? Assume it's just personal preference but maybe I'm missing something. Gonna tint my Aspen white Elise but was looking to see if anyone has done theirs and has pics???

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well heres my 2 reasons.

The windows are so small that not much sun light comes in to begin with. Most of the heat in the cabin comes from the extremely good conductor called aluminum that your surrounded by as well as the thin fiberglass.

I have experienced some wonky visibility when looking through tinted windows and the sun is at certain angles. Also at night, obviously with tinted windows it will be harder to see out the windows.

With this car I want maximum visibility.

So those are the 2 main reasons I don't have tinted windows.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Thats because we WANT people to see who's driving that way cool car.....:shift:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You will find more tinted cars in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona... etc. Mine is tinted. My avatar does not show the car from the side, so you won't see the tinting. It makes a difference in sunny climates, as does the touring package which puts more carpet down on the aluminum (and the AC modification).

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I bought my Elise, it had 11% on side and 2 layers of tint on rear window. Locally, illegal tint is a good revenue generator for the police so I stopped by and had them check it out. To quote the officer "that is so illegal I can tell from 20 yards". He strongly recommended that I have it removed from the sides or else he would pull me over next time he saw me (I drive by his speed trap a few times a week). I removed the sides and was planning on replacing it with 35% but since I drive with the roof off a lot, I don't see the point of tinting.

After a few times driving the car at dusk and at night, I had to remove the rear tint (both layers) because it limited my vision too much.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I tinted mine... My friend used to do it for a living so he did it for me... It does make a difference in blocking heat from direct sunlight. but i put a really light tint... 35% i think.

Didn't do the front because it's illegal, even though everyone does it

·
Registered
196 Posts
I tinted mine with 20 all the way around. It's not legal here, but it's close enough that I should not get a ticket. Plus you can still see out at night without rolling down the windows. It makes a HUGE difference in the 100+ degree weather we have been having over the past couple of weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts