The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the obvious answer - stick with XP!

I am buying a new laptop this week for work/home and they all come with Vista. In the past I have always had the simple choice - XP home (rubbish) or XP Pro (works!)... now there are four versions.

The options are:
Vista Home
Vista Home Premium
Vista Business
Vista Ultimate​
Any advice on which is sufficient (naturally price increases with each!!)? I am not planning to connect the computer to a domain but will use Outlook - possibly with a managed Exchange server. The applications are the usual Office suite plus some industry specific graphics programmes.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you don't care about the "media center' functionality, you should probably choose the Home Basic or Business (The Home Premium and Ultimate mainly add the media center capabilities)

More details at:

Windows Vista: Compare editions

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Go with what's cheapest and buy a copy of XP Pro? :shrug:

Vista offers nothing to me and will just use up more system resources. Not something I want from an OS.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I got stuck with vista on my new laptop. Don't like it at all. To many stupid changes (ie. how they change all your basic directory locations) and other annoyances. See if you can't get XP and save yourself the trouble.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I love this experiment for "Mojave" :)
The "Mojave Experiment"

Most PCs come with Vista Home Premium, which should be fine for you unless you plan to RDP into your machine in which case you'll need Business or Ultimate.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet Jesus, that thing took forever to load, and then when it was loaded, it loaded some more. It's certainly a MS project. The sad thing? I don't have the patience to sit there to find out what these people thought of "Mojave". It really takes THAT long to load. :crazyeyes
+1 - I gave up!

Thanks for the advice - I think I have found the unit I am after from a supplier who also provide the XP disc.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Stay away from VISTA if at all possible.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you get one with Vista Business or Ultimate, you can actually call Microsoft for an XP downgrade key, which would let you downgrade to Windows XP Pro. Just tell them that your notebook came with Vista, but you have applications that will only work with XP. You will, however, need an XP Pro installation disc in order to install XP Pro, which Microsoft will not provide.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go with what's cheapest and buy a copy of XP Pro? :shrug:

Vista offers nothing to me and will just use up more system resources. Not something I want from an OS.
So it's like our government? :panic:

:cool::D

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just bought a new desktop for my business last week and Dell is still offering XP (for an extra $99). Because of this, I am probably going to upgrade 2 more desktops sooner than I would have normally. Vista is crap, XP just works.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dell gave up on Vista because of the complaints. Microsoft has already admitted it was a mistake and is working on their next operating system. It's horrible and no one should waste their money on it!

Most of the freakin Microsoft updates aren't even compatible with it!!!!

Buy from Dell and get it with Windows XP and you will be MUCH happier!!! Or if you are only getting it for web surfing and the like, go Mac!

-Matt

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
There are a lot of new prebuilt desktops out there right now that have XP installed, available quite reasonably (cheap). Apparently they thought VISTA would be the required new thing and no one would buy XP. I've bought several old XP machines.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
well for one Vista really isn't that bad anymore, the new SP was a nice upgrade.

but I would still recommend buying from Dell and getting it with XP.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
So which is worse, Vista or Windows 98 (ME) in terms of the headaches people are going through with the OS?
I think Vista has to be worse, just based on the fact that it uses up so many system resources to get that OS X look.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts