The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again guys...

Im going to view a Elise S2 later, found one with good mileage, FSH, lots of extra bits...

... but it has no electric windows, after the last 4 years with manual one's I really want electric one's so...

... does any know how to or how much it will cost to fit them?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Manual windows in Elises are pretty rare. Look around a bit and just find one with the touring package (upgraded interior). Save yourself some headache.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
although my car has power windows, an elise/exige doesnt really need one IMO

plus isnt that more weight?

AND...you have to reach over to the passenger side to roll said window down or up anyway<?>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I agree its more weight but I'd just prefer if it had electric windows as Im planning on having it a while thats all

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It is NOT more weight.

The electric windows are a lighter installation than the manual windows.

xtn

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Ironically the electric windows weigh less, however in the package they come in the car weighs more because it has extra sound insulation and carpeting.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
There are rare incidences where electric windows are needed. I have a bar code on my passenger window to enable me to gain entrance to my gated community. It would be more difficult, with added danger, to have to reach across and wind, while driving. I wish there was a switch on the drivers side but of course the car is so narrow it is almost redundant.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It is NOT more weight.

The electric windows are a lighter installation than the manual windows.

xtn
:up: truth!

No extra switch needed on the driver side the car is so narrow you just reach across to use the passenger window switch

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Would it be possible to fit electric windows to a S2 that doesn't have them?
Elise Parts has a kit to convert manual to electric.

The other option is to get one from a salvage car - there are a couple of users here who may be able to help - akandok and vadya spring to mind.

Easiest of course would be to find a car with power windows to start with though!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Ironically the electric windows weigh less, however in the package they come in the car weighs more because it has extra sound insulation and carpeting.
sweet thats good to know

Would it be possible to fit electric windows to a S2 that doesn't have them?
your local stereo/alarm shops should be able to do it, if said parts couldnt be found in the junkyards

keep us posted on the "soon to be" purchase and good luck! :up:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does anyone know how much weight the touring pack adds?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
mmmmm they are?
+1 - I much prefer my hand crank windows. :up:

Does anyone know how much weight the touring pack adds?
The power windows are actually lighter than the manual windows - by an ounce or two. In reality, it is close enough that it doesn't matter.

The whole Touring Package is supposed to increase the weight of the car by 14 pounds of so. That's the extra carpeting, the extra sound deedening, the extra leather, and the insulation/padding on the top, minus the ounce or two for the windows.

·
Registered
958 Posts
..The whole Touring Package is supposed to increase the weight of the car by 14 pounds of so. That's the extra carpeting, the extra sound deedening, the extra leather, and the insulation/padding on the top, minus the ounce or two for the windows.
And the Touring suspension is heavier also :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Offset the touring pack with some forged wheels and you are lighter still!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts