The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating plexi. I do worry when the windscreen collapses in a rollover I will be decapitated
?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,197 Posts
The Rollbar behind your head should protect you as the windshield header is not strong enough - with glass or plexi. It can collapse with either material. I've seen several cars that have rolled at the track and everyone walked away...your results may vary. :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Glass windshields though they don't shatter, they do throw glass shards when broken, Lexan screens are basically indestructible (and lighter!)

·
Hickory, NC
967 Posts
Please don't ever use plexiglass for anything other than a screen door. Polycarbonate is the way to go. Name brands are Lexan, Makrolon and a few others. They are virtually indestructible and can even be bent with pressure(brake) or heat. plexiglass will shatter and end up in your face if a rock hits it.
Now you can even get hardcoated poly that will withstand wiping and cleaning.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've definitely heard of the dangers of Lexan windshields popping off in a collision and decapitating, or at least injuring passengers, but have never seen or read about actual incidents (granted I've never looked for this info). Do it at your own risk I suppose!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not concerned of it popping off. Nor andy structural significance.
Glass disintegrates, plexi/plastic/vynil/nylon any composite/polymer linear or crosslink are strong
I am concerned with the screen lowering toward face in a rollover. Where glass would fall apart, plexi would remain rigid
Any documented cases of plexi hurting its occupants. I suspect it would catch (scrape) on the ground before protruding onto ones head
?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like I will add an extra section to the roll bar, which will keep the plexi off me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts