The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
You know those are polycarbonate not laminated glass right?

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
I've run one for the past nine years without incident. I actually provided the mask template. SO much better than glass.

The only issue is that your glass guy has to "filet" the existing windshield "surround" off and urethane it onto the new windshield afterwards. That's it.

Lots of background posts on here relating to this.

Hope this helps!

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
How bad is your windshield? Mine had 8" crack and a big chunk was pulled off inside at the plinth but my windshield repair shop was able to fix all but the missing piece and I used G Flex epoxy and they worked just fine for last 18 months. Can't see anything wrong now! Dealers are only source for windshields and run $1400 up installed depending on location.

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
@darkSol are they street legal where you're at David? Here in NC as well as VA you have to have safety glass if you have a windshield. It won't pass state inspection.

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
@ darkSol
I bet they're lighter!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,150 Posts
10.1 lbs. lighter including the 1.5 tubes of urethane. You need to add the adhesive to both sides (for the transplanted surround).

p.s. I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a brand new "spare" Lexan windshield in my parts stockpile. Would do $575 shipped.

Attachments

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
113 Posts
I'm pretty interested in this windshield as I have a sizable crack, I hate the rear view mirror, and that sweet sweet lbs lost. My beef from research was the following though:
  • A lot more heat comes through windshield and speculation that it could damage the plastic dash. Key word speculation
  • A few remarks the non-glass material is not as clear as actual glass
I'd love some owner's thoughts on this, since the original ad wasn't upfront about that info, I got scared off.

10.1 lbs. lighter including the 1.5 tubes of urethane. You need to add the adhesive to both sides (for the transplanted surround).

p.s. I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a brand new "spare" Lexan windshield in my parts stockpile. Would do $575 shipped.
How is this different then the GRP windshield?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I had one of these for a bit and finally swapped it back to an OEM windshield.
Pros: lighter than the OEM unit
Cons: Slight distortion in the field of vision - particularly troublesome at night, can't use a wiper as if there is any dust or grit on the wiper it will eventually scratch. not DOT compliant

If the weight is critical for your use case than go for it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have this windshield installed and am happy with it, though I don't drive at night or in the rain. There is some slight distortion, as @greencar mentioned, but it doesn't bother me. It has a black border which emulates the look of the stock setup, more or less. I used black machine screws as well as urethane to install it. Can add pics if you're interested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I get a lot of distortion when I use polarized sunglasses in my Elise with a Plexiglas window. I daily my car and have about 4,000 miles on the windshield and its already showing some scratches due from the desert sand and windshield wipers. Its holding up allot better than glass to rocks (I would probably have a few chips by now if it was glass).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts