The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a low miles 2012 Aspen white evora and this weekend i washed her and then applied 3 coats of wax over the course of the day. While applying some rainex on the windshield i saw that the windshield is tinted (no big deal there) but it has a "cleartastic" "starshield" type of film on the outside of the windshield. The former owner must have done this. I'm not to thrilled to have this film because i feel like it will have a better chance at getting ruined/scratched by the wiper....anyone have this on their windshield and if so, any regrets or tips on care? does it last long? thanks!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have a same/different on my car (clearplex)

It is good for keeping the windshield from getting pitted.
It is a sacrificial piece, keep it on until it is scratched/distorts and then take it off.
Notice how good your windshield still looks.
Then you can decide if you want to replace it or not.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My guess is it's designed to prevent nicks and cracks but most states conform to a zero deductible replacement policy, so what would be the point? I'd pull it. I had my inside done with a super light tint and it keeps out a lot of harmful UV.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
FYI, asked my wax guru if putting >1 coat of wax on at a time would be beneficial.

He said no and that it would be good to wait ~ 2 weeks or so between applications.

His customers tend to own Porsches and we've heard some are finicky.

Car Care Specialties - Quality Car Care Products

Great instructions too, esp fixing chips in paint.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
These windscreens seem particularly susceptible to nicks and chips. We have a small one. Might want to hang on to it.

·
Toys R us!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI, asked my wax guru if putting >1 coat of wax on at a time would be beneficial.

He said no and that it would be good to wait ~ 2 weeks or so between applications.

His customers tend to own Porsches and we've heard some are finicky.

Car Care Specialties - Quality Car Care Products

Great instructions too, esp fixing chips in paint.

LOL, good to know...my back is killing me so next time i'll wait a couple weeks then...She's very shiny at least from 3 coats..:D

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Was wonderiing about the excessive wax on -wax off scenario.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
I bought a windshield refinishing kit from Eastwood a few yrs ago.

May try it in a non-critical spot when weather warms up.

The quality of the Elise glass is not very good. Way too many scratches and pits. If those are too deep, the kit won't work.

When I put new W/S in Elan, it was almost transformative. That, I could do myself.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
LOL, good to know...my back is killing me so next time i'll wait a couple weeks then...She's very shiny at least from 3 coats..:D
Was wonderiing about the excessive wax on -wax off scenario.
The guy who runs Car Care Specialties has always been correct and actually tests each product.
-------
He had an article in Roundel in which he wrote that one needs to know if one's wheels are clear coated or not.

He suggested licking the wheel!! If it tastes like metal, it's not clear coated.

When I later called him, I laughed about that.

He asked if I'd tried it.

"No, I'm waiting for the same night I fertilize the lawn...."

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My elise windshield knicked and chipped like crazy, and had loads of micro chips you could see in the sun after 6 years.

The Evora isn't AS bad and I have LOADS of long trip miles on mine, but it is still more susceptible than most it seems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts